1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trans and family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GayJay, Mar 16, 2015.

1. GayJay

Okay, so im not totally sure if this is the right place to put this but it seemed most fitting here.

So I know I'm trans male, I'm not really accepting of that myself but yeah I accept thats the way it is.
    Im now considering either transition or for lack of a better way to put it, get the hell over it.

My main problems are my siblings. I have 4 younger brothers. The thought of losing them is just far more important than my own wants.

My 15 year old bro he would be okay with it, but do I really want to ridicule him like that, no way. Year 10 and 11 kids can be pretty harsh and non understanding.
    As for my other brothers, two are from my dad (so they live with their mum who Isnt my mum) they are 7 and 8, so young enough for it to be normal to them if it is handled correctly. However their mum and my father would never accept it. I dont care about my father's opinion and I never plan on seeing him again anyway but I love those boys!

Then my youngest brother. He is 6, he lives with my mum. I don't have mmuch of a relationship with my mum but my youngest bro is the apple of my eye. He's like my own child, I wouldn't want my life choices to affect him as he grows up

My family is pretty complicated and I don't even know if anyone at all can relate to anything I've said. But I guess family, especially parents of trans kids about ypu first response and the acceptance progress. And any other trans people who maybe even relate

Any response is appreciated, but even if you ain't got one thanks for reading this I guess

2. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate in a way, but I don't really have any advice to give. I'm still in the closet and non-transitioned, but I do want to transition, I think. But my family is an issue. My relationship with my parents has been strained for years, but I love them, and I know they want to fix things. But I've been pulling away because I can't lie to them anymore but can't tell them the truth either. And they won't accept it, and I'm not ready to lose them. My sister... my little sister and I have always been really close, but I've been pulling away from her too. And she's told me that she would never want to see me again if I turned out to be trans. Any my brother was raised in the same transphobic environment, so he wouldn't be accepting either. I don't think it would affect his social life really, since I live across the country from him, so his peers wouldn't have to know, but I'm still likely to lose him along with the rest of them.

It's a tough situation to be in, and I don't really know if there is a right answer on what to do in situations like these. There's no easy answer, or at least it feels like there's no easy answer. Sorry that I don't really have any great advice to give, but I do relate, and I wish you the best of luck, and I believe that you can figure out the best thing for you and your family. Good luck to you. (*hug*)

3. Queero

I don't know of any advice I could give either.

I have yet to come out to my family, though I probably will this summer.

I guess I'm just preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

4. GayJay

Im glad someone sort of understands where I'm coming form, even though it's a pretty frustrating situation to be in.
    So do you think you will transition, regardless of if it means losing your siblings?

I just dont know weather I can do that to them. Id rather be unhappy rather than them

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello, I've moved this thread to this forum (the previous forum is for parents and family themselves).

6. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if I'll transition. Most of the time, I think yes, but then I think about them again and get confused all over again. I guess I'm trying to figure out what will cause the least pain. Will it cause less pain for them if I transition, or if I spend the rest of my life miserable? And will it cause less pain if I'm honest about it, or if I lie to them my whole life? Especially if they end up finding out somehow. I don't really know the answers yet. I don't want to lose my siblings, but one thing that I have found is that the more aware of myself I become, the harder it is for me to hide who I am, which leads to me pushing them away anyway. It sucks, but it's something that I'm trying to work through to figure out.