1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic sister coming over this weekend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dano218, Mar 19, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right now I am living my with parents who accept my sexuality and stuff like that but my sister and her husband are very unaccepting of it for their own selfish reasons. Basically the rumor is his family being rich republicans are very traditional about homosexuality and for that reason my sister chooses the respect of her husband's family over me. The weirdest part is her husband is still civil to me despite secretly complaining about me to my sister. He is kind of a coward in that regard. They probably don't even know i had to moved back home cause my boyfriend died and it will be a shock to them. I was gone for a year and a half so that gave them a lot of peace and comfort knowing I was away from home. I mean despite hating me they sent me gifts for christmas once and once sent me a picture of their two year old daughter. I even tried to contact my sister with no response.

They are probably mad at me to cause my brother in law's sister started a horrible rumor about me and my bf a year and half ago and when I finally found out it was her i confronted her on facebook and it happened to be the same day her grandma died. So of course they think i was taking advantage of the situation probably when I had no idea of the death until days later. So i told my parents their visit won't be awkward but honestly I am dreading it. So I need some support anything will do.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be polite, be civil, but dont get walked on. my advise to you, good luck.(*hug*)

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I can imagine the best possible thing probably would just be them not talking to me which I rather have them do. Or they could be in confrontational mode but I really do not know what their thinking now since I been gone a long time.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just tell your parents that you are nervous and don't want to cause a scene. As long as you show strength and grace, you can leave it up to your sister and her husband to make themselves look like fools.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I will get through it no matter what. It is just gonna be what it is. My sister always been a manipulative person who plays games to get what she wants. She uses every little I am do or do against me so it's very hard to deal with her. I mean it would be perfectly alright if a friend was gay but for some selfish reason her own brother being gay is a embarrassing thing. No one in my family and I mean my whole family including my homophobic grandparents treat me like this but her.

6. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    dano218, how long will your sister and her husband be there? If your working full time then that will help because you will be at work. If you have a friend that you could hang out for a few hours in the evening that would be a few hrs you wouldnt have to be around your sister and her husband. Maybe you have a friend that you could stay a night with?

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are staying Friday night to Sunday only. i asked a friend if I can hang out with him for a few hours over the weekend and he is still not sure of anything yet. I don't have a job right now but I'll figure out something to do with my time. The worst thing that could possibly happen is them ignoring me and I would actually be glad for that. I don't even know if they know i moved back home.

8. fragileflame

My only advice is to you, if they try to start something (confronting you about your sexuality, etc.) do anything but give them what they want. Don't get angry at them, just try to be as polite as you can. Kill them all with kindness. (was that too harsh?)

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are the kind who will talk bad behind your back but won't say it to your face. Believe me the times where my sister preferred complaining about me to my parents rather than confront me. Her husband is worse where he'll complain to my sister but won't say anything in person. Kind of a coward in that respect. You see he comes from a rich conservative catholic family where homosexuality is apparently unacceptable. It is rumored that the root of it is her father in law who is aggressively homophobic and so basically she rather have his respect than have a relationship with her brother. It is all a part of a game she plays and I think she is just doing it as a way to cut me out of her life. I think she's been looking for any excuse to shut me out for years and me being gay is it. I think pretending they are not really there and minding my own business is the best thing,

10. Really

Could you take her aside at the beginning of the visit and have a private chat?

Ask her how she's doing and a few other pleasantries and then tell her you know you two don't always get along but you've had a bad year and your parents have been very good to you and you'd really like to have as pleasant a visit as possible so as not to upset them.

You two were siblings long before she was married so try to appeal the joint love your share for your parents. Couch it in terms of doing this for them. You just want to be civil.

Hopefully, she will be able to behave herself for your parents' sake and you will benefit as well.

After that, you will be totally justified in not engaging with her if she is unpleasant. You will be the bigger person.

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think i rather just let it play out. Believe me they are not gonna be hostile or anything. The only think that might happen is periods of awkward silence. Having a private conservation is just too much for me. I am not big on in person emotions and I'll just let it play out and be what it is. I am probably overlooking things anyway. Believe me I mentioned being civil and respectful for our parent's sake a few times and it doesn't work with her. She is like a wall and everything is on her terms. Talking to a wall gets pathetic after awhile. If you care to read several threads on the situation with my sister you could take a look at the drama.

12. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everything is going ok for the most part. No confrontations, or really awkward conversations. My sister barely talks to me but her husband is very civil with me and acknowledges me. He is the kind of person that kind of puts on a straight face and plays it cool and you don't really know what he is really thinking about anything. That always been his personality or whatever my sister says could all be in her head and he is not really having any problems with anything. I am not a psychologist so i don't know. Yes i think she always did need therapy lol.

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well they left to go to his parent's place and it went ok I guess. Jeez the women are so intense in my family with everything. Sometimes way too critical of everything. it drives me nuts.