1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Boy I Met Online Has A Crush On Me...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by 0Marionette0, Mar 19, 2015.

1. 0Marionette0

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, so, about 2 weeks ago, I met this guy online through something called the UTAForum. And well, we got to know each other, and he recently confessed to me that he has a crush on me. I mean, sometimes I feel like I like him too, but there are so many problems that could happen in a long distance relationship. Also he's only 12, but he looks and acts a lot older. I even thought he was 16 at first. But anyway here's the issues:

-There's a 3 year age difference
    -He lives over 1400 km away
    -my parents don't know I'm gay and do not approve of online dating or friendships
    -we will probably never meet for many years
    -We cannot FaceTime or skype unless my parents aren't home
    -Trust may be an issue due to not seeing each other face to face

So what i am asking is, is this worth it? I've been trying to stay way from online relationships. What do I tell him?

2. Rainbows~Exist

If I were you... I wouldn't pursue it. I'd remain friends but falling for someone who lives so far away is such a bad concept to me. You'll miss him terribly and at yours and his age you probably won't see each-other for a while, causing you to hold out for many years and potentially miss other opportunities. Anyway that's my opinion. Do what you think is right :grin:

It's just that the whole idea of a long-distance online relationship doesn't sound very appealing to me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. NewKid87

I agree. I fully acknowledge that I'm biased here, but I was in a long-distance relationship for over five years and they are very tough and oftentimes not at all fun. You end up feeling lonely a lot, and you wonder if you're just wasting your time not pursuing other people that are closer to you, and then you feel guilty for even thinking you'd rather be in a relationship with someone closer.

I think that all the problems that are inherent in long distance relationships, plus the fact that you and he are so young, and not independent, and most likely will not be able to schedule a meet-up for a very long time, sounds like the relationship would wind up making you feel sad more often than happy. It's your choice, but it seems like this would be too much of an uphill battle for you.

I would tell the boy that you like him, and you want to stay friends with him, but because you're not yet independent and therefore unable to make time to see him - either via Skype or physically - that being in a relationship with him would be a bad idea, since you would both most likely get hurt. If you're respectful of his feelings and explain that the circumstances of your situation are the problem, not him, then he shouldn't be upset. And if he is, then not for very long.

Hope that helps!