1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncomfortable with friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by cherry tree, Mar 20, 2015.

1. cherry tree

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This isn't related to sexual orientation or gender questions or anything, I would just like some advice/opinions.

I don't have a lot of friends and that's ok. It just means that sometimes I can get a bit worried when things are weird between me and a friend because I don't want to lose any of my friends.

I have this one friend whom I've known for a few years and we actually get along really well. The thing is, lately I just feel a bit weird around him. I don't have a crush on him and he doesn't have a crush on me, this has nothing to do with romantic feelings. I just often don't know what to say to him or what to talk about. There are a few TV shows and things like that we both like and we talk about uni, but still... Normally I don't mind when I am with a friend and we're just silent for a while. With him I can't bare it.

Another thing is that I don't like just sitting around with him, I always suggest that we go outside for a walk. For some reason I can't relax around him. He doesn't come over to my place often but when he does, I hate it. I don't know why, I'm just so uncomfortable the whole time he is there.

I have no idea what my problem is :frowning2: Does anyone have any ideas/tips?

2. Manitoban

I suppose just start tossing out ideas of things you two can do together, or with others. Plays(theatre), restaurants, pubs, sports outings etc...

I have a friend that the similar problem has set in. I've realized that since we first met our interests have evolved. I'm a double major in social sciences in university incredibly interested in our political and social world while he is still an avid gamer and goes out partying all the time. I have less and less time time for gaming and partying cause I work, research and study too much for it. Hence we don't talk as much. I also I'm gay, he's straight so talking about one another's interests in the sexual world doesn't mesh well...

In any case friends drift apart sometimes you are able to pull back together, sometimes you may not.

Hope things work out for you, and try something new!(even outside your cup of tea maybe? Who knows you might like it)

3. Anexd

It seems as if you might have outgrown each other. It happens to friendships sometimes.

It is never any fun losing a friend, and it does not mean that you will lose each other.
    Again you have to ask yourself how can you be happy with this friendship? What will it take and how much are you willing to fight for it?
    Maybe you are just on two different paths right now, and perhaps not now but at a later point you will find each other again.

Perhaps if you don't like being alone with him you could start just hanging out with him with your other friends and see how that is.

Good luck! :slight_smile: