1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Violence at home

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jax12, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've known for a while that I'm quite violent, especially at home towards my parents. Even when I was young, I had anger management problems and would use violence to vent. Not necessarily physical violence, but name calling and cursing would be the second most common thing I would do.

Almost like a kid who doesn't get what he wants, I'll start getting angry. Quite immature for my age, but that's why I want to sort it out.

Has anyone been violent before and benefited from, lets say, and anger management class? I'm thinking about taking one (or finding one) because my anger is seriously getting out of hand. If anything, my anger has gotten worse and resulted in much more serious consequences.

And I have self-esteem issues as well. I tend to be self critical a lot. Let's say you made a huge mistake, where it affected your peers as well. Then someone blames you for it and you know it's your fault. How would you deal with that?

2. addicted69

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When i went to rehab i went through angermanagement and went through dbt skills look them up and see if that would help you its deff something to take a look at

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sometimes have a short temper with my dad (because he used to be physically abusive when I was young), but I really think you should first see a mental health counselor in addition to an anger management class. Anger comes from having a short tolerance for stress, so if you can manage your stress before you get angry, that will help a lot.

Try not to make so many mistakes and definitely learn from others' mistakes. You're not going to turn in to a peaceful monk tomorrow, so just start with small bits of progress. Probably the biggest thing you can do is just suspend judgment. Maybe get a journal and write down what are your stresses and also your successes in finding what are your common triggers and how you deal with them. Also, try mindfulness meditation. It worked for me and in research trials.
    Free Guided Meditations | UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center