1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get over a crush for good

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Azael, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Azael

I know those topics are pretty common but I'm really starting to get annoyed :dry:
    So theres this girl at school that I met about 6 years ago. We're friends but we were never really close and the gap got bigger with time.
    Thing is, I've had a on-and-off crush on her for 4 years. Each time I think I got rid of it, it comes back and its really really annoying. -_- I dont especially want to confess. Like I said, were not that close so I doubt there any chance she could be into me, we dont even hang out. I''m a girl and since i dont know her orientation, thats also an essue <_<''
    I tried so hard to just ignore my feelings but its just so hard. We have class togheter and she's in the students council so its impossible not to see her and everytime I do, I'm reminded of why I like her. She's perfect really. Funny, smart, confident, likable, pretty, always smilling. I'm actually confused as to why she didnt have a boyfriend yet.
    So, no that I've rant and ramble for a while, lets get back to the original topic.
    :help: Get over her? Pwease?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still have a crush on a guy from high school every time I see his pics, but I know pretty well he is almost surely straight. However, I have had crushes on guys who later became friends, like this Mormon guy who was a fellow graduate student in my department. He was really good looking, but once I got to know him as we took the same classes, I learned he's happily married and just a nice guy.

One way to break your crush is to be more realistic and notice they aren't perfect. They will have flaws. Like that Mormon guy. One time we were on the bus and he made some remark that girls in tights/leggings aren't wearing "real clothes" (real clothes being at least jeans or skirts...). My Chinese friend and I were joking that that is very outdated, and I think the Mormon guy was just reflecting his upbringing. It was ironic considering he often would wear athletic shorts.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You say you are you friends, but you've never been close and the gap has increased with time - so I would ask you how well you really know your crush?

This is how you see her:
    ... but is that how she really is? If you have never been close and the gap between you has increased over time, could you blind to any faults she might have? It's often the case that we idealise crushes and get really involved with those feelings, to the exclusion of any others that might be more off-putting. It's especially true when we don't know the crush very well. It might be, that she is very different to the way she presents.

Have a look at what other members have said about dealing with crushes: Empty Closets - Dealing with Crushes

4. Azael

Thank you both for your advices. Wouldnt say I'm a 100% over her, but its coming. She went on a second date with a guy a few days ago so that gave an extra push.