1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I approach my crush about a rumor?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by EastOfEden, Mar 24, 2015.

1. EastOfEden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey EmptyClosets,
    I have been romantically and sexually attached to a straight guy for about 6 months now, and my closest friends are aware. About 4 months ago, at a football game at my high school, I told another friend that I am not as close with about my massive attraction for said guy. This was also me coming out to her, as this was just after I became proud in my sexuality, and became reckless in coming out to people. My biggest mistake was not realizing that she was also attracted (albeit purely sexually) to him. She is very calm and careful most of the time, but this was a Friday night, she was sleep-deprived, and deeply infatuated with him. She immediately told the worst people in the school, wouldn't speak to me the rest of the night, and ignored the rest of us (there were about 10 of us). I was completely unaware of this fit of rage, because she kept a mask of happiness on her face, until the Monday afterwards. I was getting weird looks all day, and was uneasy, until lunch period. At this time all of my friends swarmed me with all of the rumors they had heard throughout the day, and I almost broke down in front of my entire grade, because the rumors mainly consisted of me either attempting to seduce him, actually having sex with him, discussing his abs with everyone, planning on asking him out, or a combination of them all. He is one of the most honest and kind people I know, but we have rarely talked, and so he never mentioned it to me. He simply avoided me and tried to shut everyone up about it. My best friends are wrestling managers, so I went to every single wrestling tournament and match, because they always complained of the boredom and bleakness of it all. He also happened to be on the team, and he is well aware of my attendance, because I often assisted with the scoring or snacks. At one tournament, we were alone in the hall together, so I worked up the nerve to clear things up with him. I came out to him, but denied that I had any feelings for him, and that none of the rumors were true. He didn't respond much, as he was out of breath, but he smiled and said it was cool. Fast forward two weeks and I'm sitting at home, listening to Lana, thinking about the whole situation, and decide to get his number from one of my manager friends. I (stupidly) pretended I was trying to get a hold of another friend, and sent several initial texts asking about how she was, what she was doing this weekend, etc. He pretends that he is her, and asks who this is, I tell him its me, and continue to pretend its a wrong number. I play it off as my friend giving me his number to play a prank, and he, not knowing who exactly this was (I didn't give him my last name) starts to insult and degrade me. I proceed to bawl and cuss him out, until thirty minutes after the final text is sent he asks who this is again. I say my full name, and he begins to apologize profusely. Now, months later, I'm on the track team, and so is he. He still seems uncomfortable around me, but occasionally we will talk about the weather, the upcoming meet, etc. It's destroying me that I can't even find a way to befriend him like I have with other guys, because of this stupid rumor. I don't want to seem like a stalker or overbearing, so I don't want to text him, but I'll never get the chance in person. My grades are suffering because it consumes my mind and I want to tell him the truth, but I feel he won't care enough. I need help, and I need it fast.
    TL;DR Messed up by fueling rumors about the straight guy I like. I want to befriend him but don't know how to without seeming like a stalker.

2. NathanielB13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to be friends with this guy again, I would invite him to a neutral meeet up with friends like to the movies or something. Lots of friends have fall outs but most come back so I would'nt worry about you two being uncomfrotable for long as I have been in this situation with a friend who wasn't a crush before