1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my mom thinks me being trans* is a phase and that i'm confused.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by staries, Mar 27, 2015.

1. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    recently, i came out to my mom via letter. she read the letter and we talked and she asked questions. but one particular question catches my attention, she asked me, "so you want to be a guy to date guys?" i then told her it is not to date guys and she corrected herslrf. i responded with, "yes, i would still date guys." and finally she answered with, "that's extreme!" that really hit home and hurt my feelings. as a younger child she's always told me never be afraid to tell her anything and specifically if i was apart of the LGBT+ community to tell her and that she'll always accept me. she also told me, "i talked to a therapist and they said that this is normal and that sometimes it's not a phase and sometimes it is. i just want you to know that everyone goes through this in their life." and even my sister is making it out to seem like it's a phase. please help...i don't know where to go from here!:icon_sad:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Give her some reading material on what it means to be trans. Many therapists are straight and have limited knowledge of LGBT issues, especially trans issues. Also, how old are you? You may just have to live with the nonacceptance if your a minor, but try to remain true to yourself.

3. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i am a minor, and i have given her resources in the letter that states me coming out, and she has yet to look at them. she is also "working" on getting me a gender therapist, but this has been going on since january.