1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting with mom

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Cutiepop, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Cutiepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mom and I fight constantly about being gay. I haven't really come out to her officially but after over 10 fights about suspicions of me being gay...really she's just in denial. All she does is tell me this is a phase and I'm beautiful and haven't had a boyfriend yet and blah blah.

Idk if she'll ever accept me and she says she loves me but not the gay. Sigh, sorry need to vent.

2. Gen

Gen

Let's at least appreciate the fact that she has essentially become aware of the truth and hasn't reacted in ways that would threaten your well-being. It would be wonderful if we lived in a world where orientation was a non-issues, but considering the world that we do live in we have to remember to appreciate the little things.

I would recommend allowing her to be in denial. Not only would it be impossible for you to force her to accept this news when she is unwilling, but it would also allow the tension between the both of you to die down momentarily. If she wants to live in doubt for a few years, she can live in doubt. It doesn't mean that you have to doubt yourself and it certainly doesn't mean that you have to stop living your life as you please. When she begins to pester you try to calm her down or remove yourself from the situation. There will eventually come a time when she will be forced to accept it and sometimes it is just best to allow people to get to that point on their own.

3. fragileflame

Try not to let all of your conversations be about your sexuality. I know it is important to you for her to love every piece of you, I understand completely. Just give her some time to let it soak in. It can be hard for parents to visualize their little girl with another girl, instead of a guy. As messed up as it is, it is how it is. Make sure your mom knows that it isn't a phase, it is a part of who you are and there is nothing ANYONE can do to change it.