1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A story of hope-ish or WHY LOOKS MATTER

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by unknownuser1990, Mar 31, 2015.

1. unknownuser1990

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In the extremely unlikely even that any one has taken the time to read by previous, and extremely irregular, posts on this site; allow me summarise. I have been suffering from painful, almost crippling bouts of depression and low mood over the last few years and recently I found this place as a safe venue in which to vent my tear-stained frustrations. The essential rubric of my previous posts has revolved around my inability to find a partner (always in the shadow of my infinitely more romantically successful exes) and my overall level of self-loathing. While I've always been impressed (retrospectively and narcissistically) with how well written my posts have been they make for some tragic reading. I'm in my late twenties, was up until recently unemployed, have had very little by way of romantic companionship after the end of a painful and unhealthy relationship, overweight and generally unremarkable. I've never really fitted in with other gay guys; essentially, I like cock but I'm not very "gay". My posts have been a mash-up of the cliff-notes of The Bell Jar, the very worst of emo music and all seen through a slightly Stanley Kubrick/terrible SAW sequel lens.... Man, I don't sound crazy at all.

Well, I guess it gets better.

While there has been no movement on the romantic front (I was about to date one particular dashing young gent - but it emerged that his lifestyle and mine were totally incompatible, for reasons that I suspect would render me completely unpopular on this forum) and it still kills me and makes me wish the same for all the happy-go-lucky, gay married/dating/fucking around homosexuals I seem to be surrounded by... in my lesser moments at least. Essentially, I still hate them but it takes up a lot less of my time and brainpower.

The fundamental point is that my bouts of extreme low mood and utter hopelessness are certainly less frequent and don't last for as long, while they are are no less severe. When I'm down.... fuck everyone for not fucking me *ahem*.

I would love to connect this improvement, slight as it may be, with some great improvement in my way of thinking, opinion of the others against whom I direct my jealously/ire or anything really but it really boils down to one phenomenon. I found the ideal job. I love what I do for a living and it has expunged whatever talent-based neuroses I previously had to deal with. I wake up in the morning without any time to be sad/mad/fucking furious and go to bed in much the same way. This is not even to touch on the financial security which comes with it. Things in my professional life have improved one-hindered per cent.

(N.B. If you've been brought here by the subtitle of my post for whatever reason...grab your popcorn, it's either going to be great or you'll hate it)

Furthermore, I've cleaned myself up and look at my physical appearance (which previously, and occasionally still, I couldn't stand - seriously, broken mirrors and everything). I've fixed my hair and I'm working out to change the unacceptable to the acceptable. Cliches become cliches because of the nugget of truth involved so I guess you could call my physical appearance a "work in progress" - if you must. Things are...getting better in this case too.

Which brings me to the point at which most people will probably head for the [X] button and storm off this feed with impotent rage - LOOKS DEFINITELY MATTER.... No, no, no! Don't...Don't even!... Don't start! They do. No one (baring those who we would probably prefer not to be walking the streets) wants to fuck someone in the brain/personality/"soul" - again if you must - No one! While I admit that there will be a physio-psychological connection between my improved diet, busied mind, decreasing waistline and snazzy haircut and my improved and stabilised mood... it's also because I'm looking, if not hot (I'm nowhere near that yet) but certainly hotter. I get a second look these days.. if not a third... yet. I would like to go on record as saying that I believe the classic "looks aren't everything" bullshit line which is fed to people, such as me, who regularly detest our own appearances is at best nonsense (again... no one gets an erection for a personality - no matter what you tell yourself - it's a physical response to physical/aesthetic stimuli) and is at worst a delusion. If you're feeling awful about how you look... change it, or at least try to. If you feel you look like shit then maybe you do. If you try to improve then at least you have that. It's working for me, I think and I hope. If you don't feel fine then maybe you're not.

I'm not sure what I really want my conclusion to be to this post. I suppose I might try and offer something of a defence of the true (if probably unpopular) things I've said about myself and about others, but then you've already decided if you like what I've had to say and, on an anonymous forum, that means you've decided if you like me so I'm going to leave my words as they are. For anyone still reading, my approach has worked for me...or at least it's working.

#1 unknownuser1990, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Sek

Sek

Looks only play a part to a degree which depends upon what you're looking for. If you're looking for a relationship then chances are they will play a part because sexuality is a valid way of expressing a form of love, vulnerability and commitment, but you'd be surprised how much of a person's perceived "flaws" you are willing to overlook when you find someone you're compatible with. I know I've surprised myself by finding certain guys attractive after an interest sparked in them that I hadn't previously.

However I get the impression you're valuing yourself upon how often you find others have lust for you. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Sometimes we think we need a physical makeover to impress people the most. However think of it this way: a building with weak foundations needs rebuilding, not redecorating. Start with an attitude makeover - people will warm up to you way more if you have confidence, self assurance and a sense of self-worth. I know this isn't easy and everybody struggles to have these attributes at times, but suppressing insecurities will only lead to those feelings popping up again in some dysfunctional way. I really challenge you to change the way you think and view yourself mentally.

3. headie2infinity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is a lovely post. Thank you for the encouragement I needed this today. Can anyone recommend ways in which we can challenge our mental thinking about our selves to build self-worth?

---------- Post added 31st Mar 2015 at 10:26 PM ----------

Ah I didn't see the original post and thought that the 2nd post was the original one.
    That being said, I agree that looks aren't everything but the do play a role in immediate attraction and self-confidence. However some of the most beautiful people are the least confident. I think it is important to take care of your body and treat it like a temple but that is also to be said for the inside as well. You can be the most beautiful person in the world and attract so many others but you could be a black hole internally.

4. PatrickPH

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    While I agree with you that looks matter somewhat, I don't think most of the attraction is based on that (at least not for me).
    For example, when my boss told me that he was hiring a new employee last year (my current crush), I checked his Facebook profile to see what he looked like (I didn't know him at all then) and I remember that I wasn't really impressed. He seemed to me as a normal guy and I didn't feel attracted at all. When I met him on his first day, I had almost the same impression, but as we got to know each other more, I developed feelings for him, and now I find him very attractive...

So my point is that yes, looks are important, but the initial impression might change, and you might find that somebody looks more attractive just because you appreciate more his personality.

5. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How do you expect others to love you for who you are, when you cant do the same for others? You want people to love you for your soul, but yet you judge people based on their "lifestyle".. and not their soul.:rolle:

6. unknownuser1990

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My friends, I'll start with a little throat-clearing that I hope will address the main overall theme which I may have failed to clarify sufficiently before doing my best to address your individual points. I do not believe that looks are ALL that matter all I am saying is that saying that they don't is, as I said, steaming coils of bullshit. Of course a viable partner has to have aspects like a compatible sense of humour, interests, sufficient similarities and differences to keep things fun, sensitivities and others for a relationship to be anything more than a non-event. These things do matter...but so do looks, particularly in the early moments. Hence my problem; I'm deficient in looks, looks are important ergo I'm failing to gather even the most wretched crumbs of love or lust form life's tablecloth.

Sek, I believe that how we are perceived by others is incredibly important when it comes to finding a fuck or something more than that and that looks are a fundamental component of perception. Arousal is primarily a tactile and visual event and if the ingredients aren't there then it just doesn't happen. Try fucking someone unattractive and anyone will get my point. Therefore, the perceptions of others, in your words when they "lust after you" is highly important in this entire area of life. Otherwise, it's just a wank. I'd like to ask one question, in all sincerity, how does one thing about oneself mentally? I'm genuinely curious.

headie2infinity, I have very little to quarrel with you on really. I agree with you that looks and internals are important, although I suspect we may disagree to the extent to which each area really matters. I find your point about the most beautiful people being the least confident interesting because I'm not sure it matters; they're beautiful, the genetic and lifestyle lottery grand prize is already theirs... the other prizes ought not to be of importance.

PatrickPH, again not sure I have much to argue with. I hope it works out with your crush and I wish you all the happiness in the world. I'll perhaps use my answer to your point to make a confession... Giving second chances is incredibly difficult for me, I try, but I struggle. Once I'm marked someone out as either not attractive to me or so far out of my league to render it a waste of time it becomes hard to change my opinion. It usually doesn't matter because I can't really remember what it's like to have interest shown in me.... I'm more familiar with the sensation of being hit by a bus, then a car, then a tank, then the Batmobile.

scxred, thank you for challenging me on my point there, I was tiring as I started to write that party and so perhaps wasn't as erudite as I ought to have been. I'm afraid you'll have to believe me when I say that I didn't judge him in so much as thinking because he felt comfortable presenting himself in a particular way then he was somehow less than me or anyone else. His choice, character and all the rest of it are his business exclusively and I'm not in a position to judge it. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't want to have to ask someone to change their lifestyle to suit mine or my tastes or comforts. That wouldn't be right.

I worry that I've come across as a bit of asshole in this thread. I'm not but I believe that harsh truths and brutal realities are better than self-affirming gobbledegook. I'm glad that we agree on the importance of looks in bringing people together in anything other than a social or profession way and I hope I've made it clear that although I believe them to be paramount I do not believe that other things don't matter.

I'm just a lonely, ugly, overweight, bitter, broken, discombobulated, depressed, furious, envious, dull, hate-filled, psychopathically paranoid, confidence-deficient, cynical, pessimistic, frustrated, isolated, delusional weirdo who, in the ironic words of Queen, needs somebody to love... or to be able to.

7. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Can i please ask you to give me more detail on this guy that you met? It seems like you feel like you're not good enough for anybody to love you.

8. unknownuser1990

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, we met during a meeting with a charity I volunteer with and then ended up on a night out together. I was very much attracted to him and he seemed totally my type (mix of good looks and self-deprivation/sarcasm/hint of ego). We smooched a little and went out separate ways. We organised a date but it never happened as I saw him post lots of bondage/S&M/leather stuff on a social media site. I don't judge but it doesn't do it for me.

... that second point is much easier. When I'm at my lowest, that's exactly how I feel.

9. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think that you could have stayed friends with him. Perhaps, then you could find out how much he loved S&M. Recently, there's a craze around S&M because of Fifty Shades Of Grey. If you change your perception of yourself, you will definitely attract more potential partners. Look in the mirror everyday and say: 'I am.. (insert positive quality)'.

10. unknownuser1990

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nah, he said it was fundamental to himself, which I can respect. Also, what do you do when you can't see a positive?

11. gloomyra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like you need to be working on your self-esteem. Seems to me there's a lot of self hate in your post; I know from experience. And while looks do matter, I don't think they matter as much as you think they do. There is always someone who will find you attractive, no matter how bad you think you look (which I'm sure isn't as bad as you think). But if working on your appearance makes you feel better about yourself, do it. I know when I'm feeling really bad about myself, putting on some makeup and getting dressed up can help quite a bit.

12. unknownuser1990

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think you're right but with one slight caveat. I do have a lot of self-hate left, it's reduced and reducing but there's still quite a bit. Also, you're totally on the money re: getting dressed up helping. I guess all I need to figure out, once the reconstruction of my body is complete (still a long way off but getting there) is how to sort out the bit that isn't physical or aesthetic. How to get that little voice that repeatedly points tells me I'm unlovable, unlovable and just plain no good to shut up or say something nice. I guess I just feel like I'm outside some exclusive club of toned, preened, happy-go-lucky guys with the secret of good dating and sex which Im not party to. Both the club and the voice are metaphors in this case I should add.

13. wasgij

That "little voice" is part of you too. So, can you see how burying and rejecting that doesn't fix the problem? :icon_wink

The only way I can think of is to love and accept that little voice too. You know how they say "think outside the square"? Well, let's say that the "square" contains everything about you -- all of the good bits, and the bad bits including your critical voice. Everything inside your head. Even that feeling of vastness when you look at the little dots in the night sky and imagine that they're distant stars. Now imagine that inside the square is just your avatar, but the real you is the brains outside of it, looking through your body, sensing your senses, shuffling things around and playing the game of life.

Outside the square, you have no body, no gender, no age, no coordinates. It's just you. Now, with THAT epic level of awesomeness, all you have to do is look after your avatar. :icon_bigg