1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What I'm looking for...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by jeff192, Apr 5, 2015.

1. jeff192

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This will sound very self-indulgent and self-centered. I wasn't sure where to post this. But I need to know if I'm alone in what I want. Does anybody feel this way or long for someone like this, even if it's impossible or completely unreasonable? And I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm babbling a bunch of nonsense.

What I want...

I've always believed that what I want can't really exist. What I want are unrealistic expectations that sit within this idea of a soulmate, but the reality of that idea is an impossibility. What I want, what I've always wanted, is to share everything in my life with you and for you to want the same. We can talk about everything, absolutely everything, no matter how much it hurts or how ashamed either of us are, and we can know everything there is to know about each other. I want to know all your secrets, you can know all of mine, and we can share each other together and never tell a soul about what we have with each other. Our connection, our relationship, our secrets, our love, our hopes, our dreams will be our own for all time in our own little world. I want to know what makes you who you are. I want to know everything that is your favorite and why, and everything that you hate and why, and I can surprise you on your birthday and Christmas with something so unexpected but exactly what you want. I want a deep and passionate connection with you. I want a dependence upon each another that makes us feel inseparable. I want to miss you when you are gone, and long for you to be near me. I want us to lock eyes with each other and try to share every thought. I want to walk into a room and exchange glances at each other, communicating a thousand unspoken words in a millisecond. I want to look at you and know how you're feeling and what you're thinking. I want you to read me the same way, and know that with one single glance you understand how I feel, what's bothering me or how great my day is going. We can know each other on every level and rest assured with ourselves that no one knows me like you do and I know you better than anybody. I want us to know the tone of our voices, the expressions on our faces, every gesture we make and know when something is wrong or completely right. I want us to share our thoughts without a word, to know you need to talk to me or sneak away for a private word, with barely a look in my direction I will just know. I want to feel your energy when you stand next to me, and know that empty and longing feeling awaits me when I see you walking away. I want to exchange glances at work or at home, constantly checking on each other, even at a distance monitoring each other, making sure we aren't depressed or sad or need uplifting. I want to sense how you feel when we are miles apart. As silly as it sounds, I wish we could have a telepathic connection, and I want that connection to matter to us so much that we feel lost without it. I want to feel like I can't live without you, and be so passionately in love with you. I never want my back to you when we're both in a room; I'm always facing your direction and seeking you out in a crowd. I want us to hug when we leave and at least shake hands when we meet. I want to text each other when we're apart, and if we can't, at least know we can leave a conversation only to pick it right back up again many hours later. We can have our own secret code words for when we talk in public or with friends that only we know the underlying and deeper meaning. I always want to sit next to you or directly across from each other. I want us to be the same size, or close to it and borrow clothes and shoes, and we can be happy sharing in all kinds of those little intimacies that make up our relationship. We can each have our own custom text tones and ring tones for each other, and we will know that we are each other's priority day or night. I want to drop everything I'm doing when you need me. I want to give you my undivided attention; hanging on your every word and remembering every word you say. Everything you say is important to me. Our conversations and experiences will turn into memories that last a lifetime spent with the most amazing person I've ever known. I want to go out of my way to make you happy even at the expense of my own happiness. You can do the same for me and we will support and deeply care for each other. I want to walk in your shoes and know what it's like to be you and understand you. I want to walk beside you through all of the experiences you face, good and bad, thick and thin, and be right by your side no matter what sort of days lie ahead for us. Walking beside you through this life, I will be there for you at any hour of the day or night, for the slightest or greatest of reasons, or no reason at all. I will never leave you or abandon you, and I will love you always, entirely unconditionally and unexceptionally.

I know... none of this is really possible. It doesn't exist. What I want cannot be real.

2. nohalos

Wow.

I think it's very much possible to have a soulmate.

I have the same dream as yours, a perfect fit for my half. You just worded it better than I could. I've always thought that I was stupid to get my hopes up for someone like this, but then I thought, crazy things exist in our world. Things can get as unbelievable as they can.

I think it's not silly to dream of such, and even holding into maybe the slightest of the possibilities. It sure sounds like an epic fictional relationship, but who knows, really?

After all, love does move in mysterious ways.

#2 nohalos, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  3. ouji

ouji Guest

I don't think your expectations are unreasonable at all. Everything that you described is what I am looking for. I love the idea of a soulmate. Someone who I can tell all my secrets to, and I will know all there's. All hopes, dreams, and fears. Being able to find that one person that you just feel so close to you feel as if you were just meant to be together. A person who you can connect with like no one else you have ever met. Everything you said resonates with me. Just know that you are not alone in what you want. There are others out there that want the exact same thing.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it completely unreasonable? I wouldn't say unreasonable, but I would suggest it's slightly unhealthy to have a relationship as intimate as you describe. Whilst many of the things sound rather nice the bigger picture is (to me at least) one of dependency and I don't think that is healthy in a relationship.

Sorry if that sounds like a lot of ice cold water, but I think the best relationships are balanced relationships, where both parties have a degree of freedom and personal autonomy.

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't call this self-centered, or self-indulgent. If any I'd be a bit concerned (as Patrick wrote) your self could be missing from such a relationship if you're not with the right guy who will be all of that back at you.

Other than that, I say keep dreaming, and keep looking. When you do find that special guy, I hope you read this to him. Out loud. Preferably at your wedding ceremony. I doubt there will be a dry eye in the room :eusa_clap

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree with the notion that this is unhealthy or "dependent". He is not suggesting a lack of independence or autonomy. Simply a desire to feel a deep bond with someone.

I believe you can find such a bond, and it's up to each person to determine how that bond is constructed.

7. Paulipocket10

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    While having a soulmate is something that most dream of and is something quite magical, I do agree that it can turn into something unhealthy. My first love, though it never developed into an actual relationship even though we both had feelings for each other, I felt like was my soulmate. When we were friends, I was incredibly dependent on her for all my happiness and did not put much effort into developing any other relationships in my life. My life became about her and I didn't care about much else. At the time though I was pretty insecure and really lost in who I was, and felt like I needed her to feel whole. When we started to distance from each other, I fell into a depression and faced a kind of identity crisis.

For a number of reasons I am no longer in contact with her and live in a different state now than her, and I can honestly say that even though I miss her, it was really essential for my growth to distance from her. It forced me to work on loving myself and figuring out who I was on my own, and realize that I didn't need anybody to complete me. Moral of the story, I think that before you get into any serious relationship, it's important to be confident in yourself and to be able to find happiness on your own as well. I'm not saying that what happened to me would happen to you, but you just have to be careful when seeking a soulmate because it can also bring a lot of pain.

Recently I found a quote that was quite provoking that I thought id share as well:
    People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you’ll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave. A soul mates purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master…” ―Elizabeth Gilbe