1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Away From Family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Robert, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Has anyone here moved to another part of the country or to another country altogether, away from your family?
    How did your family react when you told them about moving away?

I'm just asking because the majority of my family lives all in one small part of England within just a 20 minute drive from eachother and now I want to leave they're all trying to do everything in their power to keep me here... And I just think its hypocritical seeing as my mum moved from Italy to England when she was barely a young adult and my dad moved to Wales (which is about as far as I am moving) for what turned out to be 3 years, but what he thought couldve been the rest of his life.

I would just move away and ignore them all but I cant ignore them because I am dependent on them to help buy me this new house. I know they will still help me if I decide to move but its just going to be an unbareable guilt trip of doom. I just need advice on this. How do I handle this? Some part of me just wants to give in but the overriding majority of my being wants to move the hell away from all the family drama and my suffocating and controlling (but well meaning) mother.

My mum is trying to delay and argue against me at every turn and my dad, last night, offered to give me my inheritence, now, if I stay.

Help someone please. If you have any experience or input at all. Please help me :confused:

#1 Robert, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Live your life the way you want. It's yours to live, not there's.

3. Lyana

I live two hours away from my family (parents) at present. In a few months, we'll be living in different countries. And I plan to keep it that way once I'm done with my studies: I want to travel and live all over the place.

It definitely is your life and I think you should move if you want to. Maybe try to talk this out with your parents, who seem to mean well. Tell them what you've decided (when you've decided) but make it clear you love them, you'll keep in touch, come visit occasionally (if you intend to). You're totally allowed your independence and I can't imagine living at a 20 minute drive from my parents ever again, even though I love them to pieces.

4. Runner5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well if you're staying within the UK you won't be very far away from your family no matter where you go. Just make sure you visit them.

5. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well at least consider yourself lucky that your parents are accepting enough of you that they want you around. I honestly wonder if my parents would rather that I just go move someplace miles away, so they don't have to "see it". I don't know, I could be wrong.... and I hope I know.... but part of me thinks that they would rather I just be mostly gone from their lives.... with a little contact here and there just to "pretend like we're family".

#5 Contact1111, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  6. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I moved about 500 miles away from my family to attend college when I was 18 and then moved further away when I was in my early 20s.

They weren't happy about it. I got a lot of guilt trip phone calls from my mom and "why don't you love us" type conversations, but it was something I needed to do for myself and I feel like I'm a better person for it.

However, I'd suggest you find a way to be financially independent. Taking their money will tie strings to you and wanting to ignore their wishes and go your own way, while still having them partially foot the bill isn't entirely fair to them.

7. randomconnorcon

I've been telling my family that I'm moving away since I was seven and they still don't want me to go. Even know, while I'm in London for school - they wanted me to stay in Liverpool. But they also don't actively stop me; they know I plan to stay in London and they know I mean it, so they're slowly (finally) coming round.

It's harder than thought it'd be, though. I miss home a lot and not just because I have to do everything myself now.

8. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are you emotionally or financially dependent on your family? Or both? Being an adult who is financially dependent on their family is not healthy. If you cannot get a loan from a bank, maybe you shouldn't buy such a house. I know this sounds harsh. But are you living in a house that its true cost is your freedom as an adult? You will always love your mother and you will appreciate each other more you are not together week in and weekout. Good luck!