1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find the right person

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sebby45, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello,

So I have zero experience in relationships. I would like to have a romantic relationship, but don't even know where to look. There are no LGBT resources where I live. So my question is: How did you find your partner?

2. absvrdity

absvrdity Guest

I've had a boyfriend before... it didn't work out. But, a great tip, BE YOURSELF! Don't change yourself just to attract people. Also, don't chase love, it will come to you. That's when you'll find the right person :slight_smile:

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found my guy by doing what I enjoy: playing video games. We met playing RuneScape, a game we both enjoyed greatly at the time we met. Video games are still really important to us, and we'll be spending many-a-night in our apartment playing video games together.

You can certainly meet great people on dating websites, in strange, unfamiliar places, or while doing things you don't normally do, but I think it goes without saying that if you find one another doing something you mutually enjoy, there's a greater chance to connect in the beginning and talk to them.

There are great people everywhere. Just be friendly and say hello. :slight_smile:

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    TJ, that is a great story. :slight_smile:

5. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One thing that I cannot stress enough is to simply be YOURSELF!! You are by no means obligated to change for anyone! Be yourself, love yourself, be confident, and don't forget to not take life so seriously. And don't be afraid to be a little more outgoing then you usually are. Try going out of your comfort zone little by little. Best of luck :slight_smile:

6. arken1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your story is great!! But, what about people like me who are boring and don't even play video games, anymore? haha. All I really know of at my disposal are the dating sites out there. Doesn't seem to be a large pool of folks on there who are seeking long-term relationships.

7. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can do almost anything socially these days. Comic books, biking, running, reading, drinking coffee, I don't know. Anything that you enjoy you can usually find some others who enjoy doing it.
    But I know it'd be awkward to be like "I'm gonna go to a woodworking convention to try to meet someone!"

Just go about your daily life. :slight_smile: I'm sure you'll meet someone without even trying too hard. If you want to try to meet someone, there's no shame in going out with the intention of finding someone.

8. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Thank you TJ, I needed to hear that! :icon_bigg

And arken, I hear you! I'm kinda in the same boat.....

9. Lyana

Hi Sebby. I agree with what's been said... TJ's advice is spot-on.

In general, don't worry about it. Don't worry about not having had a relationship, and maybe don't even think of it in terms of "looking for" a relationship. It's just about meeting people, and then there's that person whom you start seeing in a different light, or with whom you just click, and stuff happens.

But you can definitely go out to deliberately look, too.

10. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Lyana,

You're right. I just find myself so lonely sometimes that is hard not to think about being in a relationship. That I am missing out on building a long term partnership. I just feel that I've reached that stage in my life.

Randomly, love the Doctor Who signature. :slight_smile:

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did find my bf on a dating app with 90% of the guys being tools, so it can happen. He first messaged me when I was about ready to message him. We have officially been together almost for a month, unofficially almost 2. "We found love in a hopeless place."

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not terribly original, but I met my partner of eighteen years in a bar. What are you gonna do, sometimes the classics work...