1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Me vs. the Best Friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ShiroKage, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ShiroKage

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So a couple days ago, my girlfriend and I decided we should tell someone about her depression, but she didn't want to tell her parents first as there are family troubles, so we told the school guidance counselor instead. It was all fine until her best friend found out and now that friend is pissed off at me and calling me a "hypocrite" and saying that we shouldn't have gone to the counselor, as well as another friend who also thinks it was a bad idea. They think I still self-harm (which I haven't done since I got help myself) and both of them have depression as well. I don't see how this was a bad idea at all because it was the only way to tell an adult and the problem was getting out of hand. The best friend has also started using drugs and alcohol, so my girlfriend also wanted to tell the counselor about that. I feel bad that I dislike her best friend because I know she has had some events in her past that have had an effect on her, but I also think she is a terrible influence and person to ask for advice, especially since she is making bad decisions about her own life. My girlfriend knows this, but she doesn't want her friend to be alone. But I also don't think it was either friends' business and there's no reason they should be mad at me if my girlfriend was totally fine telling the counselor. So I don't know what I'm supposed to do in this situation as I have two people mad at me and a girlfriend who doesn't know when to cut ties with bad influences. :dry:

2. Kyro

Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice name! Anime! :eusa_clap

Honestly, her friends are being dicks if they think your an asshole because you helped your girlfriend seek counseling. You can't do anything about your girlfriend not cutting ties with them but to wait and see if she does. Sometimes cutting off friends you've known and come to be attached to is difficult even when they are being assholes. But what you can do is ignore her friends as much as possible, they might be jealous because you spend time with her. I don't see why they would hate you so much the reason is nonsensical. Hopefully with time the situation will resolve, and your girlfriend will cut ties with her two friends.

All the best :slight_smile:

3. ShiroKage

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you!

4. ProtegeMoi

Your girlfriend needs positive people, love and support. None of which come from drugs, alcohol or negativity.

Your background with self-harm doesn't make you a hypoctite, if anything it is proof that help is needed and works!

I'm proud of you both for reaching out and trying to get her help before something awful happens. This other friend will hopefully grow up eventually and realize she was being selfish and did not have your girlfriends best interest at heart.

Just keep being supportive and at the same time try not to alienate anyone or cause rifts in their relationship.

5. ShiroKage

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you very much for the advice ^-^

6. BonnieJ2604

From what you have said she NEEDED the help and these two other people are obviously terrible influences. You have made the right decision for both of you and sadly there is always going to be fallout to deal with.
    Best Wishes
    -Bonnie<3

7. ShiroKage

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, but both our parents have banned us from seeing the two again, so hopefully it will be forgotten soon. Thanks for your support! ^-^