1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to cancel plans without being a douche?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Batman, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone :icon_wink

My friend is really trying to set up plans with me this weekend, but I just feel like staying home, and being by myself. There doesn't seem to be a way to ditch their plans without being rude.

So how have you lot handled situations like this? Any clever excuses welcome :thumbsup:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IF you haven't already made a firm commitment to do something, it's perfectly reasonable to say "Hey, I know we'd talked about doing something, but honestly, I'm just in a mood where I'd rather stay home and be by myself. I hope you can understand."

And then, if it's honestly true, you could add "I'd really like to do something soon, perhaps next week (or whatever)." That makes it clear that you want to spend time with them, just not right now.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't give excuses because you'll run out of them. It's okay to say you want to do things at home. I agree that you should offer an alternative. Otherwise, you run the risk of your friend not even asking for future events.