1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure what to think of my roommate

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Asexual Pirate, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Asexual Pirate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So we've been living together through most of college and we went abroad together. Overall, my roommate and I have a pretty good friendship and a lot of fun creating mischief together.

This term I decided to come out to her since she's one of my closest friends. Anyway, when I told her she replied that she was a Christian (we both are) and that she didn't think an active homosexual lifestyle was right before God. However, she stressed that her view was her view of Scripture and not mine. If I wanted to get married to a woman, she would be one of the first at the polls to vote for my right to.

I think my roommate is awesome for most of what she does, but I'm not sure what to think about her believing my lifestyle would be wrong if I married a girl (which I'm not sure that I will because I'm currently dating a guy). What do you guys think?

2. Im Hazel

Asexuality is the opposite of an "active homosexual lifestyle". In my opinion, no lifestyle is wrong. I don't see what could be wrong about a platonic homosexual relationship, from any perspective.

3. Asexual Pirate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not the asexuality that she objects to, more so the bi-romantic bit as I'm open to dating and/or marrying a woman.

4. Im Hazel

But bi-romanticism doesn't go against christianity, does it?

5. Asexual Pirate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on the interpretation as a lot of the Scriptures usually pulled out against homosexuality are against men. My roommate is fairly conservative (though a bit more libertarian minded, which is why she would vote for equal marriage), so her interpretation is that anyone who deviates from the traditionally viewed idea of marriage is going against God.

Trying to explain is difficult. Basically I'm really happy that she still is okay with me, but upset that if I dated a woman, she would think I was sinning.

6. Hiems

For me, it would be unusual to remain friends with someone who is not 100% supportive. True acceptance comes with no disclaimers, and so for her to not fully support you does not sit well with me. Remaining friends with someone like that perpetuates shame associated with your sexuality, and having that sort of negativity isn't healthy in the long run. I personally would rather surround myself with friends who bring me up, not hold me down.

7. Im Hazel

I understand a religious viewpoint saying that homosexual sex is wrong (though I couldn't ever agree). But saying two same-sex lovers can't have a platonic relationship is sheer lunacy to me. I really don't get half of these christian views.