1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guilt about straight relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by aaronhelms6, Apr 12, 2015.

1. aaronhelms6

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Currently I am dating a girl, even though I'm pretty convinced that I am a full on gay guy. I recently told her that I feel very confused about my sexuality, and she took it pretty well, but the longer I'm in a relationship with her, the more I feel like I am not attracted to girls. We've had some talks and she always begs me not to break up with her because she has some pretty serious depression and she says I'm the only thing that makes her happy, and that ever since we've been dating she doesn't think about committing suicide anymore. Pretty deep stuff, but I feel like my side of the relationship is a lie. I feel really guilty that I've kind of used her as an experiment to test my sexuality, especially since she is so vulnerable which is why part of me feels like I should just keep going with the relationship for a while so I don't hurt her. Any advice?

2. Runner5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My advice is to break it off before she gets even more invested. If you wait, it will hurt her even more.

3. Cider

Break it off, there's no point being in a relationship that you don't want. The sooner you br ask up with her, the better so that she doesn't get too attached to you.

4. NathanielB13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should break off the romantic side but keep the friendship side as it sounds like she needs you but you need to explore who you are on a romantic level

5. mapleluv

It's better to break it off sooner rather than later. The longer you wait, the more attached you both will be, & the harder the whole process will become (for both of you).

But yes, I definitely sympathize with how difficult it is to break off a relationship with someone you really do care about, just not in "that way". It's doubly difficult when you're dealing with a partner with depression or other mental health issues who claims you're the thing that makes them happy or "better".

Eventually you just have to come to the point of realizing that you're not responsible for other people's happiness (or lack thereof) & trying to make others happy at the expense of your own potential happiness is a really miserable way to live. You can choose to make actions & decisions that effect other people, but they're the ones who choose how to respond to those actions. How other people feel & what they do about those emotions is not your fault.

Be kind. Be there to support her, don't abandon her. But follow your heart. You deserve happiness just as much as anyone else. (*hug*)

6. JedenPolska

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Just make sure you let her know that you really do want to continue being good friends after the break up and will support her. I know there's a stigma that people can't be friends with their exes, and she's probably just worried that if you break up, she'll lose everything with you. But, you're not attracted to her, so I doubt they'll be any awkward sexual tension or anything. Just be prepared for it still to be hard for her. Break ups when you get to the clingy depressed stage are really difficult.