1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be discrete with platonic gay friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Benway, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay so, I've realized that while I was away (from the social world) my circle had shrunken far too small and I'm opening up to a whole new world with the gay community-- but I live with my mother and I've no desire to come out, and the friends I usually hang out with I can explain coming over but how am I to explain who my new friends are to my mother and her boyfriend?

They don't care if people are gay (though i'd prefer neither of them knew because it could stir uncomfortable questions in my direction) and I'm just talking about guys coming over to hang out, watch movies and jam on the bass with-- but they happen to be guys (guys my age) I met in my local gay community. So I guess what I'm asking is, what's a good lie to tell my mother as to where I met my 'new friends?'

Should I just say they're mutual friends of my current friends? I obviously will not tell the truth, as my mother is overbearing to a level of Norma Bates psychosis-- don't get me wrong, I love her but she's more unstable than a skyscraper designed by M.C. Escher and she's ready to drop like a hat at anything that unwillingly triggers her insanity. Sorry I'm not very lucid or clear in this, I have a high fever right now and have been awake for far too long on a DayQuil and coffee bender trying to mend this sick.

Anyway, yeah, new friends (JUST friends), need a good explanation to mother and stepfather as to where they came from because it could arise suspicions regarding my sexuality. Not that she'd have a problem with my sexuality, she may be insane, unstable and filled with inconsolable rage but she's not a homophobe and she's oddly progressive for a woman with such anger issues-- it's just that I prefer being closeted to my parents and stepparents because I don't like talking to them about my life. I like things just the way they are.

2. Im Hazel

Well, you could make up a specific story for each of them.

Eg.
    You: "This is Jonny, he is friends with Paul. Isn't that right Jonny?"
    Jonny: "Yeah, Benaway. I've known Paul since I was 7. He was the brother of one of my brother's friends, so we used to hang out a lot, even if we didn't go to the same school."
    You:"And Paul is friends with Nate. You remember him - my old schoolfriend? Yeah, well he accidentally burnt my banana bread, so now I don't like him. But Paul is cool!"

Etc. But make it better than that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's easier if you go to their houses rather than vice versa. If they do come to your home, you could say you met up through facebook or something online like a music forum.

I do think you know what would be the more permanent solution: moving out. You say you like things the way they are, but you are a 27 year old man who is scared if your mom finds out you have gay friends. That's not a very healthy situation for either of you. If you're mom has mental health problems, then she may just conjure up rumors even if you give the most believable excuses for the friends who are coming home. Mothers seem to pick up lies very well...

4. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would move out, but she's extremely codependent on me, she gets agitated whenever I say I might and I fear I may be responsible for her doing something stupid to herself if I do-- so I stay, I pay the bills and I take care of the house because of her constant migraines, she's usually lying in bed with an icepack on her face complaining that "I didn't do enough" once I've done everything.

As for her picking up lies, yeah-- she's good at that. I assume all women like her are. It's like she's a psychic or has a bullshit radar or something. Either way, going out is rarely an option unless it's going to the office or running an errand for her. She can smell fear like a shark smells blood, so I usually invite my normal friends over here because I have entire floor of the house to myself. Getting people in isn't so much a problem as getting out with people is, until they're new people-- then she thinks it becomes her problem.