1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I betray my friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TylerBless, Apr 13, 2015.

1. TylerBless

My friend Bill is in love with a guy called Chris for more than a year now.

I've only known Bill for half a year but I really like him platonically and want to keep him as a long term friend.

Bill is absolutely infatuated with Chris, forever repeating how wonderful Chris is, how amazing Chris is in bed, and how distressed he is that his infatuation is unrequited.

Bill and Chris would hang out and have sex but not officially "date". Bill claims that Chris's reason/excuse for refusing to become his boyfriend was having grown cynical after several past relationships.

A few months ago I saw Chris on ****** and, curious to find out who was giving my friend so much happiness and grief, started chatting with him. We added each other on social media and became "internet friends".

At this point Bill and Chris already had talks about their relationship (or lack thereof) and to my knowledge, stopped sexual relations and only remained friends, although Bill still harbored deep feelings for Chris and talked to him daily.

I told Bill about talking to Chris on ******, and while I detected slight discomfort from Bill, he remained for the most part neutral that we chatted. Chris is unaware of my friendship with Bill.

Last weekend I wanted to eat out but all my friends were busy, so I thought, what the heck, I'll ask Chris too. To my surprise he was free and agreed to meet, and we ended up eating and chatting together. He described in detail about his past relationships and hookups but not once did he mention Bill. Afterwards, he invited me over to his place (another surprise). I agreed because I was curious to find out more about him. After chatting deep into the night, he made sexual advances and we ended up having sex.

The next morning Chris expressed his desire for us to become friends-with-benefits. I realized this was a similar arrangement he had with Bill, except Bill was unsatisfied because he was in love and I'm totally fine with it because I had no feelings for Chris, just found him sexually satisfying.

After I left Chris's place, I texted Bill to see if he was still in love with Chris. Bill said yes, and that he is unable to move on to anyone else. Turns out, right after I left, Bill and Chris hung out. Bill was sad because he thought Chris started seeing someone new, as Chris told him that he was "hanging out with a friend the night before", since Chris rarely hangs out with friends overnight. Little does Bill know that the person Chris referred to was me!

So now I'm conflicted. To some extent I feel like I betrayed Bill. On the other hand, Chris was never his, and regardless whether or not I slept with Chris, Chris was not going to love Bill back. If I weren't sleeping with Chris it would just be someone else. Chris is sexually attractive to me, and I don't know if I should sacrifice my desire for something that only existed in Bill's imagination.

What are your opinions about my situation? Serious answers only please.

2. robclem21

I agree with what you said in the last paragraph about how your actions are unlikely to affect Chris' choices, and at the end of the day if it weren't you, it would have been someone else. However, with that being said, I don't think what you did was right.

Would you feel comfortable telling Bill all the details? If not, then I suspect you feel the same way I do. How it affects their relationship isn't really the point here. What is the point is that this guy is your friends and your first responsibility should be to him, not to your physical needs.

It also strikes me that this guy Chris is not the most honest, trustworthy guy so I think getting involved on any level would probably be a mistake. Even if just physical, who knows what else he is hiding (partners, diseases, etc).

If you talk to Bill about this and he says go for it (which I would highly doubt), then that changes the situation a bit, but I still think your actions will hurt your friend.