1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I behave?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jinkies, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is an ongoing thing in my family that ends up getting me into trouble than it should, and I've never figured out why.

The default of this place is that as long as you are living under the roof of my mother and father, you are expected to follow the rules of the house. By default, these are what I know as the rules:

1. Ask Mom or Dad if you can do or have something (I'm quite guilty of breaking this rule many times).
    2. Answer to "Yes Ma'am" or "Yes Sir" when you address them, or any adult/authority figure, especially around Mom or Dad.
    3. Always behave yourself.
    4. If Mom says no to something, it's a NO and that's the end of it.
    5. Respect everyone.
    6. The mom is the boss, unless Dad is in the house and Mom is not. There is no way around this. And so, Mom's priorities go over yours.
    7. Stay with Mom when in public, unless otherwise specified.
    8. These rules apply wherever you go.

My problem is that I tend to get in trouble for following these rules, with the emphasis that I'm now an adult.

Since when should I disregard the rules of the house, especially when I'm currently living under this roof? Am I missing something? I've been taught to follow these rules for over 16 years, and I'm now being told it's okay to break them?? It seems they do want me to have some form of critical thinking, but I know that inherently breaks some of the rules of the house. So, what should I do? How should I behave? I know it's odd that I'm asking this question here, but I've already asked it, with the answer of "Figure it out yourself". I have tried, and there seems to be no sense in following rules and breaking them at the same time.

2. 2112

At 21, most of those shouldn't apply to you, especially 2 & 7. The rest would probably depend on the situation and what your parents mean by them (what do they mean when they say to behave yourself, for example).

Everyone should follow 5, though. That would make the world a much better place.