1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for discussion while on dates?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MouseKeeper, Apr 19, 2015.

1. MouseKeeper

So, me and my girlfriend are getting more serious in our relationship. Slowly but surely we're becoming more physical, but the verbal part is still a mess. We do talk more which is good, but we still have those awkward silent moments that last for incredibly long times. I don't know what to talk about, she probably has that same issue. Do you have any tips to get more out of our time together? Thanks a bunch.

2. QuixoticSJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've always found that interests drive my conversation. I love to read and I listen to and play music. Also, art. History, and other topics. I guess the short answer is that I find a person who shares some of these. For example, my last ex and I lived together for 8 years. We were totally incompatible on music, but we had most of the other big things in common. All that time we never ran out of things to say. But then, it's always a little awkward early in a relationship. Give it some time.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, try to focus on shared interests. You two could also go out and do things together to build shared memories. It can be as simple as gardening or going to a concert or a walk/run.

4. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ask questions. Get to know her. Her get to know you. Sounds silly but it's fun. What's her fav color? Ice cream? Music? How does she like her eggs? You can think of the questions in ur head or search online. There's lots. It's fun. Good luck!

5. robclem21

^^ This.

Do things together that don't give you a lot of time for really awkward silences. For example, going to dinner is a high pressure situation because you have to sit face to face and talk the entire night about whatever. However, going grocery shopping and making dinner together gives you a chance to do an activity with built in communication (pass this, mix that, do you want to do this, etc.). Then when you are eating you can talk about parts you like, don't like, how it turned out, etc. This way you also get to know her better, see how you work together, and enjoy food.

That is just one example, but anytime you can do something together or own your own, it lengthens the time together and minimizes face to face talking. Plus as resu mentioned, it builds memories that help with talking points down the road (remember when we.. x). Over time, those silences aren't awkward and you will just learn to embrace each others company even when there is nothing to talk about.

6. Sek

Sek

Something I've learned is that you can't truly enjoy talking until you can enjoy the silence. If you're comfortable not talking, there's no pressure to keep a conversation flowing because there's no awkwardness to avoid.