1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with my depressed friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Invidia, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    My friend suffers from depression. Most of the time he's really intelligent and we crack internalized jokes and drink tea. But then, at minor setbacks, or really just quite randomly it would seem, he 'snaps' and becomes absolutely suicidal. He's attempted suicide several times; at one point I had to get on my bike every time I wanted to see him, since he was in the mental health department of the local hospital for having attempted to hang himself.
    I'm writing this after having just ran after him barefeet in the dead of night, he having been running out, slamming doors loud enough to break through my headphones with Nightcore on. He only wore boxers and when I reached him he was shaking badly and said he wanted to die.
    I don't know what else to do but to stand as a worthless lump by his side and whisper I love you and remind him how much me and his girlfriend would miss him.
    He's obviously near-constantly on the edge, and I don't know how to help him...! :help:

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Okay, I'll just pull the post-in-your-own-thread-to-get-it-to-the-top thingy. A kind word of comfort or some advice would be kind of nice...

3. SocceRoo

Hi Triflow, I'm sorry to hear your friend is going through this. My best friend is going through depression as well. I contacted beyondblue - Home to get help for my friend and they gave me a few things to say and some sites to look at. This is an Australian site but i'm sure they would help.

this is the information they gave me, it was aimed more at my situation but i'm sure it will help.

-Letting him know that he is not alone in this
    -Letting him know that depression is very common
    -acknowledging that he is brave for letting you know how he feels
    -asking him if he needs some support in going to this professional support
    -It is important to also let him know if he is not open or doesn't feel comfortable to seek face to face help, there is other help available such as chatting to us online via webchat. We find that sometimes young people prefer this way to reach out to us.
    -Contacting a professional to help with coping strategies.
    -If there there is any chance he might self harm call the local emergency services or hospital.

They gave me a lot of numbers to call but obviously they wouldn't be much help for you. I suggest looking for a site that is more local and can give you better support.

From what you have told me you are doing a great job! keep doing what you are doing and i hope this helps. good luck. (*hug*)

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Thank you SocceRoo! It's great to know there are sites available where you can find support. I'll take a look around. I really like your blinking fox :slight_smile: Again, thank you, and good luck to you too. <3

5. SocceRoo

Hehe no problem. Thanks. Glad i could help :slight_smile:.