1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much effort is too much?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sedgeling, Apr 25, 2015.

1. sedgeling

My best friend and I used to be very close, but now we aren't anymore. I'm a senior in high school, and she's a junior, and given that I'm almost out of here, I feel like maybe she is pulling away because of that. Maybe she just knows she is going to miss me and wants to just distance herself before I go so it isn't as painful later, but I'm worrying that it may actually be something else.

See, I had a bad crush on this girl. Stupid, I know. Straight crushes never work out, and I didn't expect this one to. But you know how it is. When you have that affectionate, close friendship with someone you like and you know it isn't mutual, it just sucks. I got to the point where I just decided to tell her. I also assured her that I didn't want our friendship to change or anything, but not terribly long after that our friendship just started to decline. We still talk, but more and more I have been feeling less important and less wanted, and it hurts, and I've tried to get her to make some effort, but it hasn't worked.

I don't know whether to give this all one more last ditch effort, or to just give up. I mean I care about her, and I want her in my life, so just kicking her out isn't something easily done. Is that even the right mive here, or should I just keep trying indefinitely?

2. Ortensia

Ortensia Guest

The way I see it, if she's distancing herself from you purely because you were honest and told her how you felt and she's weirded out by it, she's probably not worth the effort. I mean, if she's not putting any effort in to keep the friendship going, why should you? I know you want to keep her in your life, but if she won't even try, any attempts you make to keep the friendship will prpbably be futile. The only thing I could suggest which might work is talking to her about why it is she's being this way, seeing what she says. Maybe there's a good reason and you can work to overcome it. I wish you luck x