1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would some of you handle or approach this?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by slakers, Apr 27, 2015.

1. slakers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just trying to get some ideas from other people on how they'd handle this situation because this is something that means a lot to me and if I don't do it carefully I'll jeopardize what I'm trying to do.

I'm desperately trying to convince my mother to set up a meeting with the superintendent at the school district that I'd like to attend school. I'll be a senior next year, and I don't want to graduate my school and have that attached to me for the rest of my life. I know of a saying that it doesn't matter what you did, it only matters where you ended up or something to that effect but for the ten years of my life this school has been nothing but complete hell for me. The school I want to attend is a rather wealthy school district, my grandma lives there, and I also work at the local grocery store. Everyone keeps telling me that the grass isn't always greener on the other side and that I won't be accepted because I'm not a millionaire but that's a risk I'm willing to take. I have a lot of friends out here, some who've graduated from the school, and others who go to the neighboring school districts. I've never heard one person say anything negative about the school or that the kids are cruel to each other.

My mom is very apprehensive about allowing me to come to this school because she doesn't want to ask my grandmother "to take me in". I understand where she's coming from, but the thing is that I spend all summer with my grandmother anyways and we both really enjoy the time. My grandfather travels for work so he isn't always home, and she enjoys the company. I help her around the house and do things when she asks me to. It's not like I'm a troubled child who's going to have the police at her door and partying around. I just want a better education for myself and to find friends in a slightly larger and more liberal school district than I'm currently in. I don't think that I have much to lose given that most of the people in my school aren't particularly fond of me anyways.

How would you guys bring it up to her if you were in my shoes? Should I bring her out to dinner near the end of this school year and tell her she needs to make her decision then? I know I only have one more school year left before I go to college but in all honesty, I'm not sure I can handle another year especially after the drama I've dealt with this year. I'm on the verge of losing my mind. Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Eric.

2. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know if I can really help but if I was in your situation (which does not sound great and it's really great that you are being proactive in trying to change it) I would take some time with just your mother to explain exactly how you feel.

It seems to me that you know exactly what you want and why you want it. Make sure that you emphasise that you want to make this change to enhance your education and improve your quality of life. It's not just something you've decided on a whim and you've put some real thought into it. It's something that you know in the best instance could make you happier and be a positive influence on your future.

Be honest and truthful and just let her know exactly how you are feeling and why you think this is the best option. After reading what you've written it seems that you have a very coherent and well reasoned argument and I hope it all works out for you. Stay strong and make sure she understands your side of the situation. However be open to compromise and be mature, getting angry will only negatively impact on you and your desired outcome. Good luck.

3. slakers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, Vesalius!

I've tried to explain this to her numerous times and she just won't budge. My grandmother said maybe after the school year was over she'd try to help me and argue for me but not in the middle of it, like I've been trying.