1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help learning how to express my emotions.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by A Unique Name, Apr 27, 2015.

1. A Unique Name

So, I met my best friend like four years ago now, when I was too young to really come to terms with my sexuality, and over time he came to terms with being homosexual, and I can't to terms with being bisexual. Now, we both like each other, I would even say that we love each other, and we've said it on multiple occasions. But the thing is that whenever he shows me emotion, I get all scared and shy away. The thing is that I do have feelings towards him, but I'm just terrified to do anything about it. The biggest thing is that he likes to put his head on me and give me hugs and other things like that, and I do love it, but I get really nervous to be in a relationship, because I've never seen a happy relationship in my entire life. I really love him, but I worry that if I don't start to show some more emotion, I'm gonna lose him. Please give me some advice, any is appreciated. By the way, we're both 15 year old males. Thank you.

2. itsmary

I know how you feel... I felt the same way when the girl I liked showed emotion. She used to stroke my legs and stuff and I was completely paralyzed. I think you need more confidence, trust him more. Nothing bad is going to happen if you show emotion. Just be yourself and show him how much you care. I know it's not easy but it's something you can work on...

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could try other forms of expression, like writing a poem or drawing or even playing music. Don't be so worried about expressing emotion. It's hard to bottle things up, and often that backfires as you seem to be cold and distant (which could be mistaken for disinterest).

4. mangotree

Often the best way to get over a fear or phobia is to constantly expose yourself to it in small doses.

5. A Unique Name

Thank you all very much for the advice. The truth is, I have been showing it in small doses, and it's getting a little better. Also, we both play guitar, so we always play songs that we know each other love. And yeah, it's so hard for me to try emotion, but I am trying to become more confident. Thank you.

6. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Sounds like you should just relax when you are together. You are expressing your emotions, just slowly. Don't worry about it so much, life is a learning experience.

I'd say the worst thing that could happen with expressing your emotions, is you being a little goofy about it, and getting a confused look from your boyfriend. Just brush off anything like that, make a funny face and kiss him. Anything to defuse any awkwardness you felt.

Be bold, and have no fear. He wants to be with you, otherwise you wouldn't be with him.

7. A Unique Name

Yeah, you're right. Thank you. I kinda need to stop worrying so much, it's just that I care so much about him, and I don't want to lose him. I hate to say it, but I think he may be the one that I'm gonna spend most of my life with. Even though we're really young, we've both told each other that we feel that way.

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2015 at 06:58 AM ----------

It's just that we go so perfect together, like we're one in the same.

8. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    I would suggest: try to meet other gay couples, they do exist and a lot of them are very happy. There's a tonne of material on YouTube and tumblr with cute gay couples (just make SURE that when you come across the comment section, most people who comment are inbred morons). You say you haven't been exposed to a lot of happy couples in your life - well be certain that they do exist. Plus, don't be afraid to talk to people about how you really feel, sometimes it'll help you discover new things about yourself.

9. A Unique Name

Thank you. I guess they really do exist, I'm just worried to get into one, because I've watched every couple that I've known constantly fight since a little kid, and it sucks. I just can't get myself to go out with anybody, even though I really want to. I'm going to start researching videos like these, and maybe after I see more happy relationships, I'll be able to get myself into one without worrying so much.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't let your observations discount your actual experience. Learn from the mistakes of others, and be honest about what troubles you. You can't escape some argument, but you can make them constructive rather than destructive.

11. A Unique Name

Thank you. That's what I'm going to try to start doing. Thank you for the recommendations.