1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my little sister might be bi

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Invidia, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    My sister, who I love more than life itself, told me something the other week that made me curious, and also triggered the old protective-older-sybling worry. She was chatting about some people she had had crushes on, and mentioned like a few guys names and a few girls names. She said those girls were cute etc.
    It might be that because I'm LGBT+, I'm 'biased' if you will, or that this is some sort of phase that I'm reading too much into.

But I am worried sick about this at times. I'm worried because if it's not a phase, she might start disliking herself for it when she finds out many people think it's not normal or wrong, and also that she might have to face bullying.
    But most of all I'm worried that this is truly not a phase but that society will beat it out of her so that she losesthe chance to explore that side of her in her future life. Her mother is a completely rotten egg and would be great at doing just that, I think. Maybe she's already doing it, for all I know.

So how do I know, firstly? We're very close and can basically read each other's minds, and I think that at least right now, she is bisexual, although I can't predict the future.
    How can I help her in exploring her own feelings and to realize that feelings are just feelings and they're okay?

Any input is greatly appreciated <3

#1 Invidia, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. SpaceJayce

Maybe bring up some LGBT+ issues that are current in the news and see how she responds to it? I feel like if she is bisexual, it's better if she tells you on her own terms, so the best you can do is let her know you love her and that you'll always be there and be supportive of her no matter what. Hope I helped!

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Thanks for the input! In fact I did just that when I told her I'm trans*. I have cautiously talked to her about friends who are gay and bi, I guess I'll also tell her I'm pan...
    It's a bit difficult also since she's only 7 and we live in a small town, not many openly LGBT+ people here...

4. Im Hazel

Well, having an older sibling with gender / sexuality issues is the ideal place to be if you have similar issues yourself. If you talk to her and be open (and that sounds like what you're doing anyway), then she will probably open about it as well. At this point, labels are slightly irrelevant, but as long as you keep being LGBT positive, talking about issues and such, she should feel able to talk about it if she needs to. There is no rush to get her to come out, right? If I were you, remember it, but ignore it for now, unless you think talking to her about it directly would be a good course of action. Just my two cents, for all they're worth. :slight_smile:

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Thanks, Hazel <3 You are always incredibly reasonable, more than me probably, even though I got 4 years on ya ;P You also made me feel more useful. Thanks!

6. ImHappy247

Out Status:
    All but family
    So I'll just try to be the other side of the coin then. I'm gay, and my older brother is gay too, and he's out to the family and I'm not out at all with them. And I know for sure my brother would accept me and stuff but it's just that I like things how they are I guess, I know that he would accept me but he would ALSO be more interested in my life just because of that, and more friendly, and that would be so... unfair I guess. And also that my parents don't accept him at all, like they let his bf come here and stuff but it's like he doesn't exists and they don't really talk about it at all. And I, holding Pandora's box right here, don't feel like coming out would be a good idea. SO, keep it cool like everyone said, be open and stuff but I (coming from where I come here) would not be too worried about it. I mean, childhood and early adolescence was kind of ''hard'' for me but I got through it well so if she comes to you, you'll know what to do but if she doesn't you'll also know what to do :thumbsup: Peace~

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Thanks, Happy :slight_smile: yeah, I think I'll try to keep it cool as well as I can... ^^ thx

8. Im Hazel

:slight_smile: That's ok, and thanks for your kind words. :slight_smile:

9. Foz

Foz Guest

How much younger than you is she? I know from several of my friends (who are straight) they did have a lingering question about their sexuality sometime between 13 and 15. If you see and attractive woman on TV I'd just subtly drop in "would you look at her!" and see what her reaction is :wink:

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Thanks, Foz :slight_smile: But she's not that age yet, she's 7 ^^ Good tip for the future though! And something along those lines, though less 'mature' might be a good idea if the opportunity presents itself, also :slight_smile:

11. wasgij

Triflow, you're probably a huge inspiration for her as it is. You could just talk about your life every now and then, or when she asks you questions, you answer. Just be there for her when you're needed. If you try to do much more than that, then you might start falling into the same trap as "helicopter parents".

12. Invidia

Invidia Guest

That is probably a risk, yes... Thank you very much for sharing that input and saying I'm probably an inspiration :') <3