1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom know I'm gay (bi) but doesn't support gay marrige ..

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Runawayjet, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Runawayjet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My moms said how the world is so messed up because god is angry at what is going on in the world lately.. One of the things she said is gay marrige . I was in shock and didn't know what to say. I was already reading something off of my ipad . So I continued to do that. .. Today I wore my lady gaga born this way shirt to show my support for the marrige law that they are trying to pass where all 50 states can marry .. I'm only 22 and I never had a girlfriend yet but I know I'm bi lol.. No need questioning that hahha .. But when I do have one and I fall in love and want to get married I feel like my mom isn't gonna like it .. All day I was happy seeing footage on the news of people holding up signs for marrige equality and people just being supporters . And now the 10:00 news is gonna come on soon and I'm dreading it . Cause I don't wanna hear her comments about this if they do talk about it .. Also my moms friend she was just on the phone with told her about a article he read that a meteor could wipe out the earth in September . I don't believe those stories ever . But she was nervous so maybe it was nerves and she didn't mean to say that about gay marrige . I don't know .. Sorry for the rant . Just need someone's take on this .. :icon_sad:

2. Lyana

Hi Runawayjet! My mother doesn't support SSM either (which is legal here now), and she too knows I'm bi. How long have you been out to your mother? Maybe she needs more time to process it and really understand. Since you're bi and have never had a girlfriend, it may just still be this abstract thing in her mind.

It's important to note that not all parents are going to be tremendous allies just because their kid is LGBT. Her loving you and (hopefully) being respectful of your relationships is already a great thing. You can't really demand that she walk the streets with a marriage equality sign. But saying that the world is so messed up because of SSM, yeah, that stings. It sucks that your mother believes that, and since it's religion-based I don't really think a conversation baout it would make her see things differently. Sorry you're going through this.

3. Runawayjet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I came out to her this year .. I don't remember the exact month but the beginning of this year . Wasn't planed on happening then . But it did . I know she needs time to understand . But she just sometimes says things that piss me off . Then I go cry without her knowingn. Cause I just feel like shit . And yesterday she didn't even realize what she said she just forgot about it wile I had it on my mind all day. And yeah my mom is religious (catholic ) and when I came out she said god loves me still. That I can go to church and pray.. How the pope even said so. And now she says that god hates gay marrige .. That it makes him angry. I get what your saying I don't want her to be a activist just want her to understand I'm part of the lgbt community . And that She needs to stop saying offensive stuff .. But when I talk to her use says "be happy I didn't kick you out or tell you I don't accept it " .. :dry: it's so confusing ... And I might wanna get married to a female one day who knows what's gonna happen . I don't think she realizes that, that can happen..

#3 Runawayjet, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  4. mapleluv

Unfortunately, you probably can't change your mother's view on the subject. When the reason for someone's belief is "because the Bible says so", that's not an opinion based on logic, so you can't really counteract it with logical arguments.

All you can do is talk to her about how uncomfortable it makes you when she makes comments like that. And if she chooses not to respect your feelings & continues to say things that upset you, that's her prerogative. It's not kind of her to do so but she has the right to voice her opinions as well.

I suggest listening to "Shake It Off" on replay. It always helps me, ha.

5. Runawayjet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    yeah I know she has the right to say her opinoins .. She was like this before I came out and then when I finally did come out it was weird and made me feel worse cause it's hard to tell how she really feels about it . I'm not a huge taylor fan but I like that song . When I'm feeling crappy I listen to pink her music has gotten me through a lot growing up and now dealing with this ..