1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can women be driven to become lesbian?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dolphinsneu, Apr 29, 2015.

1. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi,

In February 2014, I met and started dating a girl who identified as bisexual. She seemed to be genuinely attracted to me. I was hesitant to make it official and eventually things soured. We eventually settled into a platonic friendship.

She recently told me she thinks she might be a lesbian because she has lost her attraction to men. She said this was because she was tired of looking for Mr. Right and getting hurt.

This isn't the first time I have had a bad breakup where the girl has come out to me afterwards. This makes me a little uncomfortable I will admit.

I always thought sexual identity was immutable and cannot be changed. Is it possible for women to be straight or bi and be driven to lesbian by bad experiences with men? I find it hard to believe she was not attracted to me. I could turn her on and satisfy her just like she was interested in men.

I also can't help feeling like I did something wrong :}( I also feel disappointed because of my previous struggles of women. I met her after five months of being an incel, and I thought she was attracted to me. That helped raise my confidence of attracting women and finding relationships. Now it seems I'm still not good at attracting women. Now I worry if my next girlfriend or partner is going to come out to me.

Any thoughts? I'm really confused by this and would like any sort of information to help me understand things better.

#1 dolphinsneu, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Sexuality can be fluid, It's also possible that she's still bisexual but is leaning more towards her female attractions. This happens to a lot of bi people I know.

3. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Do you think I did anything wrong?

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

That's the key to all of this.

While it is possible somebody could identify as bisexual, but really be one way or the other, there seems to be missing pieces to this puzzle.

You say you didn't make things official, but that you were dating and even pleasing this woman*. Enough folks, if they are seeing you exclusively, may consider that as being official. Just a F.Y.I., for you. But what sticks out to me here is, if you were turning her on and generally having a good time, why would she drop such a bomb?

*I wouldn't qualify that as exactly platonic.

Maybe she wants to let you know, because she trusts you, and that's great. But if we take her comment, as you phrased it, as is, then we run into a very glaring issue:

You say she enjoyed being with you, but she dropped the "tired of finding Mr. Right and getting hurt" line. Doesn't that seem... odd... to you?

That'd be like a parent telling their child, after a fun-filled day of time spent together, "I'm tired of being a parent and the responsibilities, I'm putting you up for adoption." Like, LOL-wut?

I'd talk to her, at least, and see if you cannot get some things clear. Otherwise, you're going to become trapped in your pit of what-ifs and despair, and that isn't good for anybody, especially you.

5. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Oh my god.. really? I'd say she just liked the physical contact? If you did something ''wrong'' it did not cause her to be a Lesbian. I've liked girls since I was so young.. Yet I tried dating a guy. Was not right from the start. Btw if it's possible for a woman to be bi at first then become a Lesbian after bad experiences with men then i'd like to point out this might be the case for some gay men? It just seems silly imo.

I believe sexuality is fluid though I know for a fact my sexuality wont change anytime soon. I believe i've always like women like a million times more.. I don't know how I feel about guys though. Pretty ''meh'' to be honest.

You didn't do anything wrong. Don't stress!

#5 ChloeKiss, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  6. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It's just that I am now in a relationship and I don't want to find out that this girl is a lesbian too.

I talked to the first girl more. She had some very interesting things to say.

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2015 at 01:18 PM ----------

She said her attraction to men had been depleting even before things went bad between us. She said she wasn't gay when I was dating her. She said it was her choice because she was tired of being hurt by men. She said she would try it with a girl, and if she liked it, she'd stay, and if she didn't she'd just date without the hope of settling down.

7. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Okay.. Well maybe she is just confused? I really don't like how she's saying she'll date women because shes sick of men hurting her. Like really? Just go with it man.. She is who she is.

8. Lazuri

You absolutely can. I've a friend who became a lesbian after multiple rapes.

Obviously I'm not insinuating somebody raped this woman, but it shows that sexuality can change due to reasons outside their control.

9. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have been hurt hundreds of times by women, but I haven't been driven to become gay.

This is contradictory to the APA which says that sexuality is fixed, immutable, and cannot be changed.

If she was not gay when I was dating her and now she is gay, does that make me a bad person. Is that a negative mark on me?

10. wasgij

No. If anything, depending on how you feel inside with your gender identity and all that, you could feel insulted by her actions.

Maybe as a bisexual she might prefer a sharp "Tarzan or Jane" dividing line between 2 groups of people that she's attracted to? Maybe you see yourself as just a regular masculine guy, definitely somewhere in the Tarzan group, whereas she made it abundantly clear that on her spectrum, you were located deep in that murky pan~queer zone? And why should you get the dubious honour of being her last-ditch attempt at dating guys before giving up? Wouldn't it be so much nicer if her next choice of date was not only male, but also an all-round cool guy who you look up to? But no, "I'm really lowering my standards here, and if this one doesn't work out, I'm changing sides for good!" :bang:

Obviously I'm just throwing these out as ideas. A less cynical way of looking at it: she was determined to date women anyway, but something about you, that she liked, stopped her for a while.

#10 wasgij, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
  11. nyorkurr

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes. There are some cases. I know someone. She was sexually abused by her brother and this drove her to have relationships with girls. She had 2 relationships before she met her husband. But until now, she doesnt like it when her husband starts to be romantic and starts to touch her. It reminds her of her past experience.

12. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have been hounding my current girlfriend about this and she told me to shut up yesterday.

13. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You know, as crazy as it sounds, I think yes. yes it can happen.

14. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Maybe sexual orientation can change for some people.

15. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Has anybody on this board ever had their orientation change?

16. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm kinda yes. I considered myself bisexual for a long time before I finally realised that I'm gay.
    I was together with guys, had a long-term relationship and I enjoyed it to that time. But more and more I realised that my interest in men faded away and that my attraction towards girls became more. Maybe this strong attraction was always there and just needed time to break out, maybe bisexual was just a needed step for me to progress, I dunno.

But Iet me take you some fear: That totally had nothing to do with the guys I've been with. They haven't done anything wrong or so.
    It's just a thing that was concerning me. Developing my true self, explexploring my feelings and my sexual identity.

Maybe you should try to relax and don't worry so much. Focus on your current relationship and enjoy the time with your girl!

(*hug*)

17. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My own identity is confusing enough anyway lol

18. Lipstick Leuger

No, you cannot. You cannot drive anyone to be a lesbian, or gay or straight or anything. It's NOTHING you did. Trust me on this one.

19. sweetfemme90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I say women probably aren't 'driven gay'. There is a difference between being frustrated with men and loving women. That being said I do believe sexuality is fluid, not something written in stone. Dating one gender can be just as frustrating as dating another gender. I am assuming she likes both men and women, she is just frustrated with men right now so she rather consider investing time into finding a woman. Her attractions to men and women exist, but her experience is leading her to doing different things at the moment.

In my experience as a lesbian, I never really became frustrated with men in a romantic context. I just loved women.

I will say I am sorry to hear about the break ups you had. Break ups are hard to recover from and leave us feeling discouraged. As far as doing something wrong or doing something to make a person want to break up can only be answered by that individual. There is nothing wrong with improving yourself, you will be a better partner. Take the time you need, but still introduce yourself to new people.

20. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Now I'm starting to suspect that my current girlfriend is a lesbian.

I've brought it up to her twice, the second time, she got angry at me.

In terms of how I've been hurt unfortunately, that's the nature of the current dating scene for many cis-gendered heterosexual men.

---------- Post added 26th May 2015 at 08:23 PM ----------

Well I hope she is genuniely attracted to me and not a lesbian lol

---------- Post added 26th May 2015 at 08:29 PM ----------

It's just that with my struggles to attract women, to know that somebody I attracted and slept with turned out to be a lesbian kind of hurts me :frowning2: