1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it me? Am I a bad person

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Andstillimhere7, May 1, 2015.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello I am wondering if I'm a bad person for talking bad about my parents. I usually want to talk about other people about my parents because I sometimes don't like them. My mom is racist towards white people and I'm thinking "why do you live in america then" and my dad is completely ignorant. I don't like the way they parent and it's very bad parenting. Apart from being racist they are also homophobic which bothers me and I just can't reason with them (I'm not out). Some of their negative traits have been passed on to me such as judgmental and anger and I try so hard to go away from that route.

Someone could easily say that I'm a ingrate for talking bad about mt parents, but believe me I am in college and have a higher education than them and I also have a well understanding of children so I could easily say that I can parent better than them. They have great qualities too like funny and supportive but I just can't stand them. But when it comes to advice my parents are last in the list.

In conclusion, Am I a bad person for talking bad about my parents? I wish to move out but my mom is against that idea because 1. she thinks i'm not ready 2. she is against young adults moving out.

2. gabroxs20

You are most certainty not a bad person for talking about your parents. Everyone no matter how excepting thei parents are or how nice their family is still has some bad things to say every once in a while. Good luck though these next few years before college.

3. AKTodd

Parents are human beings just like everyone else and are not perfect. Meaning you can find yourself actively annoyed by them, or even actively disliking them, as you develop as a person and become independent of them.

If you are finding your parents are starting to grate on you, then I'd suggest moving out and possibly moving away (I usually recommend 2hrs plane ride away, minimum)to build your own life. Being this far away lets you visit from time to time if you wish, preserving some kind of relationship (you can enjoy their good qualities and sort of work around the more annoying bits for the course of a visit. You can even continue to try to get them to see things your way) but also puts you far enough away that you aren't in each other's business all the time, which can drive you to eventually actively disliking and avoiding your parents in a venue in which it will be obvious and just make things worse.

My 2c worth,

Todd

4. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all! When people are rude an hurtful towards others, it doesn't matter who they are you should not tolerate it.

5. banana1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Every time I visit my parents I leave emotional and angry... You are old enough to make your own choices!

I am not out either, will do it maybe with a letter... Have no clue when...

6. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found I got on so much better with my parents (well, my mother mostly) when I didn't live with them, and see them all the time. My sister found the same. People have good and bad. When you are stuck with them, it is easy to get annoyed by the bad. Distance helps you see the good.

If they are homophobic and don't want a young adult to be treated like and adult, you probably need your own space to develop your own life, too.