1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't she like me ? :(

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sepina, May 3, 2015.

1. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a niece who's living with us and I think she doesn't like me. Every time I walk into a room when she's inside alone the room that is, she will immediately go out. She pretty much tries to avoid me when no one is around. I will say I get annoyed at it and I have thought about confronting her about it but she's only 11 and JUST started intermediate. I mean she's been living with my family for 2 years now. What's wrong with me?... I don't mean to sound like a pout but it kinda does hurt me. Haha. Anyways, how do I approach this situation without making her cry?

2. Gen

Gen

Have you asked the opinions of other family members?

If you did not have much contact with her in the past, it could very well be that she finds you intimidating. Children tend to find it easy to socialize with children their own age and adults around the age of their parents. They tend to find the demographic in between those age ranges (18-20s) very intimidating because they are essentially "older kids". Nothing is more intimidating than older kids!

I would make an effort to come across as more approachable. Make a comment about the shows that she is watching or any hobbies that she has. Find a subject to start a conversation about. Conversations that will likely start off awkward, but gradually become more natural with time.

3. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your advice Gen, I think I'll try that. :grin:. I have talked with her older sisters, and they're the type to threaten. They are both around my age, so they ended up making her cry for ignoring me. I don't want to make the situation any worse than it is but thanks though :slight_smile:

#3 Sepina, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015