1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents hate my girlfriend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SLynn, May 5, 2015.

1. SLynn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello! I am a lesbian, new to coming out. I am 22, and when I told my mom she laughed it off and keeps saying that i'm joking. My brother is gay and has been out for a long time, and she is happy for him and supportive of it. I'm not sure why she isn't supportive of me. I just began a relationship with a woman that used to work for my mother. My mom doesn't like her and when I told her that I was dating this woman, my mom went ape shit and basically disowned me. She said that I am betraying the family for dating someone she doesn't like or trust. Am I a bad person for being with this woman, who, let me just say, is NOT untrustworthy or a bad person in any way! I have constant guilt from my family for being with her, but I am in love and I don't think i should have to feel guilty for being with her. Anyone have any advice about this?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well its up to you what you say since you know them best... and if...

You might have a look here for a few thoughts:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/comin...so-frustrating-not-being-able-come-out.html#2

Well love is a gut feeling and we cannot exactly choose who we fall in love with...
    and maybe they can forget whatever happened and see that this person also has positive sides ?

It sounds like some kind of power struggle... maybe its possible to take the emotions out of it, remaining calm and not getting offensive...

have a *hug*

3. SLynn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is a very good point. My parents are very overwhelmed because I have recently moved out on my own and i was in a relationship with the same man for 5 years before realizing I was gay. So i'm sure this is a hard time for them, especially considering the negative feelings they have towards my girlfriend. I just feel like when you love someone, you love them no matter what. And ever since they found out I was dating her, theyve basically disowned me from the family. The kicker of the whole thing is they say they dont like her because shes a recovering alcoholic, but both of my parents are fuctioning alcoholics that are in denial of their drinking. I just get so frustrated thinking about the whole situation. I need some zen in my mind!

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Take your girlfriend out for a walk. Spend some more time out of the house perhaps. Maybe some meditation? Sit down, cross your legs/whatever and just breathe.
    Find some good time to think and to relax. Things will fall in to place eventually, and if your mind is ordered, that might help you make that a reality faster.

Lots of love x