1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So like, does anyone else have that one friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ebiru, May 6, 2015.

1. Ebiru

You know, THAT friend. The one who thinks they're being supportive when all they're doing is making things awkward.

Don't get me wrong, she's a great friend and she supported me throughout the coming out stage, but...she seems to think that because I'm okay with everyone knowing, she feels as though everyone HAS to know. I have told her on multiple occasions to stop introducing me to people as her "gay best friend" as well as constantly bringing it up during conversation.

Like I said though, she's overall a great friend. How would I get her to stop this without hurting her feelings or coming off as insensitive?

Thanks in advance.

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Oh, I thought you were gonna say that one friend who is incredibly cute ^^ (in which case, yes, this guy...)

Her perspective is probably difficult from yours, you're going to have to get that across somehow.

3. wasgij

"Plz don't take this the wrong way, but I don't want EVERYONE to know that I'm gay...
    I appreciate you helping me out and all...
    BUT, awkwardness and stuff.
    And there's more to me than just the gayness factor.
    Could you sometimes introduce me as your "cool" friend?...

I'm thinking that explaining with too many words might be safer than using too few.

4. nohalos

Maybe you should tell her that you find it uncomfortable? Tell her you want to come out in your own pace, but you do appreciate her effort to get you out there. :slight_smile:

5. Ebiru

Hey, thanks for the answers! I'll talk to her about it next time I see her. Much appreciated.