1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homo-Ignorance (Daily Microaggressions)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DreamerBoy17, May 10, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone! I'd like to ask what some of those little micro-aggressions you face daily are. Also, you can post about general ignorance. Here's mine:
    So, a few days ago I was sleeping over at one of my closest's friend's house. She is really nice and smart and overall super awesome if a little homo-ignorant (can this be a new word please? It sums things up much more nicely than homophobic). We got on the topic of crushes, and this friend knows I have a huge crush on one of our other friends, and have liked this other friend for almost a year. I was feeling kind of mopey about this whole crush thing considering my crush is almost certainly straight, and I said, "L, do you have any advice for me? I really want to get over this stupid crush but I can't think of how." You have to understand this is the most intense crush I have ever had and I was hurting. There wasn't an easy answer. L responded, "This might be hard for you, Em, but you need to focus on boys more. Once you do that you'll forget you ever liked a girl." (L thinks, like most people, I am bi. I'm like 99% sure I'm a lesbian but I'm afraid to say it.) The way she just shrugged off my strong feelings as nothing was just really hurtful to me.
    What are some examples of you guys coming into contact with homo-ignorance?

2. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    She reacted to you the way she would react if she was in that situation. She told you something that will apply to her, instead of what applies to you. These friends would usually be the first in line to defend your right to marry but will roll their eyes if you say you're feeling discriminated against. It's not something ideal, but it's not always bad - their acceptance is won, which is the hardest step. She can't think or feel like a lesbian if she is not a lesbian.

I really think it's best not to fuel your discontent of a pre-existing social situation by personifying this discontent as your friend, she just reacts that way because she probably thought that it would be something good for you. I KNOW it feels like erasing your identity, but they do not see it that way.

I pick up on microaggressions as well. They dont "hurt" but they DO scratch the pre-existing bruise, which usually lasts for a long time.

I've come across SO many of them that I've lost count. I know a few gay people who look past them though. The acceptance of homosexuals in society is just exploding at a never-seen rate, that regular accepting straight people are also transitioning to a new phase: transforming mannerisms, and this is going to take a while.