1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another suicide

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mystic flower, May 12, 2015.

1. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am sorry but I need to vent. There are people I can talk to but there are certain thoughts I can't process into spoken words.

This morning I found out that a student of where I work commited suicide. I am still shocked and feel I can't bury another one. He had been away in another community for a while. I feel overwhlemed and my heart is broken. So many thoughts and feelings are flooding through me and I just need time to breathe. Maybe if I practice my clarinet, these feelings will subside a little. I understand they will be there for a while, because this is not the first time a student has commited suicide. It hurts just like the first one, though. The pain still feels like a thousand daggers piercing through the heart. How do I continue to do my job? My heart is broken and I need coping skills, how do you cope with devastating news?

2. Buttercup2

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I cry.

It seems very simple, and I'm sure you've cried plenty over this, but it's something that needs to be done. After that, I move to distractions. Preferably healthy ones, like your clarinet. Just no TV, unless it's over Netflix or something, because when a commercial break comes up all the feelings instantly rush back to you. Inevitably, the distraction will end, and from there you decide if you want to move to the next distraction or grieve for a little while.

You've already been through this, so I'm probably preaching to the choir. Sorry. If you need to talk to someone, I'm always open to listening. The very best wishes to you and to that person's family.

3. wasgij

:icon_sad:
    One day at a time.

You seek the impossible. You are coping, and if you coped "better", it wouldn't be you any more. At least don't beat yourself up about it. Clarinet sounds like a great distraction.

Some people believe that when other people die, they "go to a better place", or get reincarnated, or something. No living person really knows.

4. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Badly, crying, drugs, booze. Not healthy. Getting better though, not relying on the drugs or booze. Usually just let the tears go, and fall asleep on a tear soaked pillow. Then talk about it with therapist of friends. Being open about my feelings to others, including on here, has certainly helped me grow, and start dealing with issues directly. Not letting things fester in my head.

Remember the good things about them, not the pain they were in. Nothing you can do about that now for them.

In your professional work, maybe there is a way to honor the memories of these students to bring the issues to the surface for everyone. To many people don't have much empathy for those who are different from them. Teach your students that everyone has value, and purpose in life. And not to keep things bottled up, to seek help and support.

#4 kindy14, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  5. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    It is gut-wrenching and overwhelming when such news comes out. I think there is no 'real' coping mechanism. We all come to this life alone and leave alone. What happens in between can range from amazing to unbearable, and those who've committed suicide have witnessed the unbearable.

It might help if you personally pay respects to the family of the victim, light a candle in his name, and (if you believe) pray for his soul.

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Suicide is very emotional topic for lots of people. I have been down some dark roads but to be at those last moments i can hardly imagine that. I known two guys in my small town who committed suicide and it was tragic. I even had relatives that ended their lives too so it is a very emotional thing for me. The truth is you never get over it. You do things in a positive way like activism or helping those who need a lift up in this world. When I hear someone killed themselves it doesn't matter if they even said a word to me or if they are gay or straight or whoever I take the time to think about about the person and how we can change this world for the better. Of course there was this once kid who had accepting family, friends and a boyfriend while I had none of that and killed himself. It made me think of things in a different way that life is not always as it seems everybody struggles and of course you don't know the mind of someone who does this act but you can fight to make sure anyone has a shot at life in this world free from bullying, harassment or whatever they are going through. We need to unite in this world with compassion, respect and love or together we fall.

7. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all. I am in a more positive emotional state and am taking it an hour at a time. I really appreciate you all

8. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It has now been 24 hours since I heard the devastating news, and I feel I can cope better. It still feels like claws gnawing at your heart and stomach but the intensity is a bit more bearable. I can't believe how a young man who seems collected, kind, caring, loving and full of promise leave ust like that. He had struggles that he hid from the rest of us, and even though I know there is nothing that I could have done to prevent it but my hope is that at least when he thought of me, he smiled and knew I think highly of him as a really good role model for his peers. My heart is broken.