1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Void Puppy, May 13, 2015.

1. Void Puppy

It's that time of year for high school.

This is the first year I wish I could have gone. I never really cared about it before, and I'm certain that after high school I won't care either, but it's still something I wish I'd be able to do.

I work at a tuxedo rental store, and I've had to watch everyone I know come in, and had to measure them up and fit them with a jacket so that they get to enjoy an awesome weekend that I know I'll never get to go to. I get to talk to them, and even their parents while they're there, and it makes me feel like I'm missing out on a really good time.

I'm certain some of you will tell me that it's just high school and it doesn't really matter, and I know that it's true, but it doesn't make it any less appealing to me right now.

There are a couple reasons I cannot attend. The first being that my parents will not allow it. As far as they know, I'm straight, and even if I wanted to go with a girl, it's strictly prohibited.

I'm not allowed to have a girlfriend, let alone a boyfriend, due to "religious reasons". So going to prom is something that I'd never be able to do in the first place.

Secondly, I don't have anyone to go with anymore. The guy I was with apparently has turned straight and is now dating one of our mutual female friends, which makes me feel super shitty. However, that is a whole different can of worms.

I don't really know where I'm going with, it's just a shitty time of the year for me I guess. I have to suit up other guys for a great time, and then go home and do nothing while everyone I know gets to go to prom.

:/

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Would your parents let you go if you didn't have a date? Quite a few people at my prom didn't go with a date, they just went with a group of their friends.

3. Void Puppy

No, they wouldn't. They hate "the culture" of it.

I also don't know if I could justify spending $200-300 just to tag along my friends and their dates and be that one lonely guy in a group of couples :/

4. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

Come on
    you wouldn't be the lonely guy in the group
    find another guy or girl that don't have a date, go together with them as a group

I didnt attend my Middle School and High School's prom and i regret that a lot...
    i attend my pre-med farewell party tho, as a single guy with no date (because i cant ask a guy, i was still i the closet and i didn't know any other gay guy). In the end of the party i joined a group full of single people and it's so much fun. I wish i have a courage to attend even as single guy back then when i was in my MS/HS

Just tell the parents that its not a culture, its just one night for you to hang out with your friend, get loose and have some fun...

anyway
    have a good day
    arfff

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Damn that blows. I didn't go to prom as a junior and I don't regret it, but I did go as a senior and it was the best night of my high school life. Several of my friends didn't have dates but they went as a group and had a great time just the same.

It doesn't have to be a big expensive affair to have fun. My friends and I met up for pizza beforehand, carpooled to prom, and then went back to one person's house for our own afterparty.

6. bryaninau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did not go to my HS senior prom and really do regret it. It was also hard for me because I was doing duel enrollment at a local Community College so it was very hard. I still wish I could have gone though.

7. Void Puppy

it just seems impossible to convince my parents that I'm just going with friends. And they hate the whole idea of prom to begin with, as dating is strictly against their religious rules.