1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religious Family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Moemoe, May 16, 2015.

1. Moemoe

My parents and extended family are devout Catholics. I came out to my parents, and they've yet to accept it (I say yet because I hope one day they will.). However, they oftentimes ignore that I'm trans at all, making me buy girl's clothes and ignoring my preferred name. They also get angry whenever my friends use male pronouns with me or call me Moe. They also get mad whenever strangers think I'm male, and even more so when I'm happy that they do.
    If they don't ignore it, they argue with me about it, blaming it on my friends and my Asperger's Syndrome. They've threatened to take me out of school and ban me from the computer, as well as burn my clothes and buy me all girls' clothes. It just seems to keep getting worse and worse.
    Right now, they're pretending it doesn't exist, but it's inevitable that it'll come back up again. Does anyone have any advice? When we argue, their attacks are always so personal and hurtful that I can never do anything but cry.

2. Im Hazel

Tell them how you feel. Back it up with scientific stuff and studies. Show them the NHS website - make them realize that this is real. Try and make them understand how they make you feel by doing that. It's a very powerful strategy to tell someone how they are making you feel.

3. Moemoe

I try really hard, but they disregard it. They think I'm just being delusional and am 'obsessing' over the idea that I'm 'different'. And I've tried in the past to look things up (scientific things), but they've only gotten mad and said that I'm just 'continuing to reinforce a thing that I'm not'. They know it's real, and they know that people are trans, but in their words, transgenders are 'sick and disturbed people'. Anything I say to them, they either deny or ignore.

4. bi2me

Do you see anyone for help with the asperger's? Maybe that person could either help you or make a referral to someone who can. How old are you? Have you considered if you want to eventually transition or have gcs? If you are still young, puberty blockers might be something to see your doctor about.

5. Moemoe

I don't see anyone for it, but it's quite mild. And I'm 16, and I definitely want to transition and have surgery. To be honest, sometimes it feels like when my body grows that it's rebelling against what I want. And I'd like puberty blockers, but mom and dad would shut it down really fast. I'll ask my therapist or doctor about it though.

6. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming from a Catholic family, I'm afraid there's only so much that you can do. I'm sorry that they're not accepting of you and that you have to go through this.

Definitely talk to your therapist and doctor about it. Is there any chance your therapist would be willing to do some family sessions? Perhaps they can explain some things to your parents and allow you to express yourself in a mediated environment.

7. Moemoe

Possibly. But I'm afraid that they'll just blame my friends or my Asperger's again, and it will make everything at the house stressful again. But I can try.