1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion on dating apps?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Alpha78, May 17, 2015.

1. Alpha78

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi guys. I've lately moved on from my past relationship and I am ready to find another relationship. Ive never had a same sex relationship so I'm looking for ways to meet other gay/bi guys. Since I'm not into the club scene, I'm thinking about using dating apps. However, I don't know how well dating apps work. Could you guys give me your opinions/experiences with dating apps? Thanks!

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have any experience using dating apps, but my advice is that you not use them to find a relationship. Just like the club scene, dating apps are populated mainly by guys wanting to find someone to hookup with.
    If you want to find a genuine relationship, you could try a dating site (for more like-minded people), but honestly, my advice is that you just not try to find a relationship. Let it come to you. Just do what you enjoy doing. Be social.

I found my guy three years ago by doing what I enjoy: playing video games. We met playing RuneScape, a game we both enjoyed greatly at the time we met. Video games are still really important to us, and we'll be spending many-a-night in our apartment playing video games together.

You can certainly meet great people on dating websites, in strange, unfamiliar places, or while doing things you don't normally do, but I think it goes without saying that if you find one another doing something you mutually enjoy, there's a greater chance to connect in the beginning and talk to them.

There are great people everywhere. Just be friendly and say hello.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless you're looking for a hookup and nothing more... avoid the so-called "dating" apps because they are essentially all hookup apps.

I often recommend Meetup groups if you're in a reasonbly populated area. They are activity and interest-based, and in most areas, there are a bunch of different ones specifically for gay or LGBT populations, so you can often find people with common interests there... who are not simply looking for a hookup... so it's more likely to cultivate friendship that could turn into something more.

There is one membership dating site that I've heard pretty consistently good things about. I can't mention it in the public forums, but if you PM me (and are over 18) I can share the info with you.

4. TheSeeker

I met my ex-boyfriend on one of the most popular hook-up apps, and the year I had with him was probably the best of my life. Even though these apps are for "hooking up", it's good to remember that the people you are chatting with are real people... Everybody's human, and while a lot of guys just want to hook up (myself included, at least since my breakup), there are plenty of others who want something more meaningful and will go out of their way to tell you so.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are exceptions to every rule, but finding a meanignful, healthy relationship on a hookup app is, statistically, exceptionally rare.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually have one of the "dating" apps, but I never really use it for dating purposes. I mainly only use it to find friends.

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I met my bf on a dating website (there is an app version of it, but it's an actual dating app not a "dating app"). Aside from that, do you have other LGBT friends? They might be able to introduce you to people or take you to events and places where other LGBT people hang out.

8. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I installed one a week ago, and it seems cool. I met a guy (he was nice, but i didn't really think we clicked), and i'm talking to a girl who seems to like the same things as me.

Just don't get your hopes too high and know that people can lie.