1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to talk to my mom. Please help.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sweetcupcake, May 18, 2015.

1. sweetcupcake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So a few months ago, I came out to my mom. I wrote her a letter, and I went to school, gave her a few hours for her to adjust to this concept that her daughter is bisexual. When I came back home, I asked my mom if she read my letter, and she said yes. Her reply was that no matter what, she still loved me, and that if that's what I wanted to be, that it was okay with her. My mom is a really special person in my life,my parents are divorced, so my mom regularly takes on the roles of been a dad too. I really admired her, because even though we are going to rough times, she still doesn't waver, and that makes me respect her. The thing is, I have talked to my mom on a few occasions about my sexuality, though I know it makes her uncomfortable, probably because she doesn't really know how to deal with this(btw I printed my mom a PFLAG brochure about how to deal with sons and daughters who just came out, but I'm not sure she read it). There is something that has been bothering me. I have been wanting to come out to more people than just her, to my friends, but I have this battle with my mom. She says that I should keep this private, because my sexual orientation is nobody's business, and that people can be cruel and mean. I became a Senior today. Just one more year and out of high school. I can see my mom's point of view but I want to come out to more people. And not been able to talk about this to ANYBODY, it kills me. I need more people that are like me in my life, that understand what is like to be like this, or at least a friend that knows and supports me. I told my mom about seeing a psychologist, but she sort of brush it off. We don't have money for one either, so I don't really press for it. I have been wanting to go the LGBT community center, is a few towns away, and my mom will have none of it. It makes this process so much more difficult that what it already is. Can somebody please give me some advice?

2. Gabe27

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I don't know how it's like to be in your situation because I haven't come out to my mother yet, but I think talking to her is not a bad idea.

If she accepts you she should understand that you don't want to be closeted forever. More than that, it's your sexuality so it's your decision to tell other or not. I understand that she wants to protect you, but if I were you, I'd try to convince her that it's okay to come out to close friends at first, so she would gradually get more comfortable with the whole situation.

I hope everything turns out alright!

3. SomeNights

So, taking a wild guess here, but here is my interpretation and advice. Your mom is worried about you, because she grew up in a very different world than what we've progressed to now. Even since me graduating high school 4 years ago it's a way more accepting place. As a mom, even more so as a single mom, they want nothing more than to see you happy. The image that she probably has stuck in her head is you coming home crying, because some half-wit made a comment as inappropriate as it is rude. She's probably just looking out for her "baby".

Now here is my advice: Talk with your mom yourself. Explain to her what you just explained to us, about how isolated you feel and how it's eating at you and becoming your central focus. In that, also bring up that while your sexual preference is your personal business, it has to be shared at some point in order to even consider having a relationship with someone else.

Now, I'm all for people coming out and am glad for have doing so in my own life. However, I feel as though I would be doing you an injustice if I didn't tell you the downside to it. That half-wit is going to make that comment. Even now, having graduated college, there are still times where I have to tell people that a comment is completely out of line or grow thick skin myself. Make sure your skin is thick enough for it and that you're indeed ready to fact the inevitable half-wit. :slight_smile:

Good Luck and be strong! :slight_smile:

4. sweetcupcake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, both of you, for your advice. I think I do need to sit down and talk to my mom about things. I will try to make her understand that for me coming out to other people is really important and that I'm prepared to face the inevitable half- wit :slight_smile: ( there is always one.)

P.S.: Yesterday, while I was thinking about this situation, I decided to come out to an old childhood friend of mine. I have been meaning to tell him for a while, but I never really got around too. He is graduating from high school, and then he is off to college, so I decided that it was time. After asking him if this somehow change our friendship or the way he saw me, to which he replied no, he asked : "Who do you like?" lol I love that guy.

5. curiousshark

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    aw I'm glad things are beginning to work out for you.

Coming out to the people you trust and love is crucial too, and I'm glad they love you still.

<3

6. AAASAS

Sometimes straight people can't grasp situations, simply because they're not in the same situation.

It's similar to how a gay person may not be able to fully understand the feelings someone who is transgendered feels.

So I'd give your mom the benefit of the doubt, talk to her about it, but ease her into it. You don't want to go all " gay gay gay" right away, especially if your mom isn't used to it. It can be a gradual change, but I'm sure she'll understand where you are coming from eventually.

Good luck!

7. Sek

Sek

As mentioned before, it seems clear to me that your mother is looking out for you. Sexuality continues to be a topic surrounded by controversy and hate, and your mother probably wants to avoid you having that.

It sounds to me that it isn't a shamefulness but her way of safeguarding you. You should have a discussion to understand each other's perspectives more, because it will do you both good to have clearer knowledge of each other.

If it's the case, let her know that you understand why she has said what she said. But also remind her that the disclosure of your sexuality is your right and something which only you should have control over. There will have to be a point at which you start being open, maybe you could meet in the middle by limiting it to a group of friends at first to 'test the waters'. Perhaps once she realises that people are more accepting than in the past she will change her imind.