1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

age gap

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by blurryface, May 22, 2015.

1. blurryface

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi everyone I'm new here!

I'm an 18 year old female, I'm bisexual and I'm out to my friends but not my family. Anyway my question is about age gaps.

I met a girl at college who I was attracted too. She was in my class but I learned after was 16. She's pansexual and expressed an attraction towards me and we flirted. Nothings ever happened between us but she's made it clear that the balls is my court and if I'm willing to, she'd date me.

She's mature for her age and is way more experience than me and as I'm live in the UK the legal age of consent is 16 so there's nothing legally wrong with it but what do you think about it morally? Is it weird for an 18 year old to date a 16 year old? She is 17 next week and I'm 19 in a couple of months so there's just under two years difference which wouldn't be a big deal if it were a 20 year old and a 22 year old but I'm not sure at our ages.

What do you think?

2. Foz

Foz Guest

It's not so much the number of years difference, but the percentage. So there's what? ~18 months in between yous? Even if you apply the 'half your age plus 7' rule it's fine. The main thing to consider is the maturity gap, that is what makes the big difference in reality. 2 people with largely different life experience and maturity just isn't going to last. But from what you've said anyway I can't foresee any issue :slight_smile:

3. blurryface

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for replying!

I don't think there'll be a maturity issue, I just wanted to get people's opinion on whether they thought it was wrong or not. It's strange but in guys, I'm only seeming to be attracted to them if they're older but I'm attracted to girls who are closer to my age

4. DragKing692

My friend Kyles parents are eight, that's right EIGHT years apart. And they are still married and will be (as far as I know) until death do them part, which won't be for a long time. You'll be fine!

5. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's not a big age gap :slight_smile: If you're interested in her and she seems interested in you, I'd say go for it :grin:
    One of my friends (at age 15) dated a 19 year old, which is a much bigger difference. I didn't approve, but it ended up being okay. (She ended up being more mature than him lol) Age does not matter that much in a relationship. Maturity does, but it doesn't sound like you have an issue about that with this girl.

6. blurryface

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks guys, your input really helped!

7. Sek

Sek

I met my boyfriend on his 23rd birthday when I was 18. Things do work between us with a 5 year gap, but I am conscious of the challenges presented and aware that it's a far different dynamic than if I was with someone my age. Age gaps tend to produce a bigger problem at a younger age because the rate at which one matures isn't linear.

I will say that things stand a chance of working out, but be mindful that you are soon to be sucked through the late-teens-early-twenties 'maturity accelerator' where you suddenly have a lot more responsibility and are forced to change a lot.

8. blurryface

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi sek, thanks for the advice! Me and the girl I'm talking about are both already probably more mature than a lot of people our ages. I was a young carer from the get go so have always been mature and had a lot of responsibility and the things she's experienced have also resulted in her being more mature but I am mindful that things will change. I think what was concerning me even more than if the relationship would work was if it made me a bad person considering dating her because although 18 months isn't a big deal and she's now 17 and I'm 18, when I first met he she was 16 and I was 18 and I would never have even considered dating a 16 year old before but I didn't really think about her age with us being in the same college class and stuff, it kind of didn't enter my mind too much but then recently I was like, 'shit, she's younger than me' and it kind of threw me of a bit so I was just looking at some others opinions. Thanks for your input, it was really useful! :slight_smile:

9. SpiritEnergy

Girl, two years is nothing. Me and my boyfriend have a 10 year gap and we are fine. It is not about the age, is about maturity.

10. Wardrobe93

if you look at my last thread i had a similar issue to which i got some great advice from chip. Its not a case of the age gap but the ages and 16 and 18 are very similar. I'd say you are going through the same time and transition in life. Go for it girl! Age is not a problem here!

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's not a big deal in this case.

12. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Omg if she's a total cutie and you're crushing on her i don't see the problem :wink: have fun and be safe! So cute!