1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there ever two "masculines" in a gay relationship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by John2517, May 22, 2015.

1. John2517

As I live with my bisexual curiosity, I often think the guy I would want to date and the relationship we'd have. And when I think of that, I don't imagine a feminine boyfriend. I expect to date a masculine guy much like myself. I see us going on an informal date just like we're best friends and dudes just hanging and then only getting physical when we get home.

Have you guys ever seen or been in a couple like this? Is it possible or am I just thinking like this because I'm not fully accepting of my curiosity and questioning sexuality yet?

2. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arfff

I've seen a lot of this relationship, not in real life because gay is a crime here... but i saw a lot of it on the internet especially on social media

3. still ill

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm not sure how it is for gay men, but I would assume that yes, you can be in a relationship with a masculine man even if you're masculine yourself. Remember that gender expression is different than gender identity, so if two men act in a more masculine manner and find emotional/physical attraction to one another they can pursue a relationship. How one acts should not affect the overall attraction. I've seen many butch women date other butch women because thats what they are attracted to. Hope this answered your question.

4. AKTodd

Yes, these are actually not that uncommon, it's just they don't get much media attention. Have seen and been in this type of relationship, the most recent having lasted nearly 19yrs now.

To some degree this will depend on how wide ranging your definition of 'masculine' is. There are media stereotypes about that as well and if your definition is solely the stereotype and anything that deviates from voids the 'masculine' card entirely then you may have a harder time finding folks. Even among the straight population for that matter.

In the immediate term you can find a number of videos and articles about gay military guys (many of whom are quite masculine) coming out, or being out, or proposing to their spouse online. Most of these date to just after DADT went down, but are still around to be googled.

In terms of the here and now...with the rise of marriage equality it might be interesting/instructive to see if you can spot two masculine guys together and just doing their thing like any two buddies would - but notice they are both wearing matching rings on their left hand:wink:

Todd

5. roar531

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i sure hope so! because im in the same boat. i often think about it too. im not attracted to the feministic guys. nothing against them. just not for me. i myself would call myself more "masculine" not that im a body builder or have that much muscle. but i hang with dudes more than woman. i like the same things alot of straight dudes like. and i like more masculine guys.

for me masculine doesnt neccessarily mean you even have to have that kind of body build. though it sure helps for me to be attracted to you. its also the way you act and the things you like to do. im not gonna want to go shopping for hours with a feministic guy that puts make up on and is overly flamboyant or for lack of better term "girly". no matter how good they look physcially.

but for your question im sure they exist. i know of 2 older gays that have been together for years now. my parents friends. probably 20+ years now. both fit into my definition of "masculine" but gay and partners, though again like others have mentioned they might not neccesarly fit into your definition of "masculine". but yes they do exist. and the fact that they got together around 20 years ago and like others said how equal rights are on the move means you can probably expect more to come and be seen :slight_smile:

6. John2517

Well it's good to know that they exist. Thank you! :slight_smile: