1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

online dating websites and thoughts.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by roar531, May 25, 2015.

1. roar531

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey everyone. i currently signed up for a few online dating websites. as im tired of being in the closet, and i feel im soon about to come out totally. iv talked about it with a few friends and at least in the next year i plan to come out if not shorter.

so im trying to find local guys. however i have heard many horror storys about online dating. and whatnot, whats everyones take on it, i personally think its just the small cases that normally dont happen. and most of its probably ok and safe.

also my parents think what im doing is crazy, i should add that they dont aggree/accept what im doing. and think its wrong to be gay/bi. which also has made coming out pretty hard and is probably why im still halfway in the closet at age 23. also i want to get others opinions since my parents are obviously bias against it. but then again asking this on a lgbt forum is probably even more bias. lol. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but hopefully i can get some thoughts on both sides.

is it ok to online date? im not really the most outgoing person but once you get to know me or if im in a group of friends i can be CRAZY. so making friends isnt hard for me. but i am kinda shyish so the inital step is harder so i went to online dating.

also im not asking if its ok to be gay/bi. the question is just for dating :slight_smile: it is hard to have parents like this but its whatever, also doesnt help that i live with them still...working on fixing that asap. i still love them though. :slight_smile:

also does it work for people? do you think it could work? is it dangerous, potentially dangerous? i guess these are my questions about it. i just dont know many people within a 50 mile radius of me. and absolutely 0 gay guys. soooo yea. im hoping to change that.

2. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's totally ok, but you need to be careful - as you always would be when meeting people you don't know well. Also you need to know exactly what you want/what you are willing to do, in advance. Some 'dating' sites and apps are really just about hookups. Which is also totally fine if that's what you want, but if you want to find a long term relationship, you need to be clear about that, both in your own mind and with anyone you meet.

And of course normal safety rules apply. Let someone know where you are going and all that. But online dating is really no different to pulling someone in a bar, is it?

3. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Me and one of my closest friends both be our boyfriends online, through dating sites and stuff. My mum met her husband online. I feel it has huge potential.

I think the important thing is to consider the limitations.

1) Taking to someone online is very different to in person. Don't expect it to feel the same even if you've been talking a while. You do have to re discover someone. Relationships grow.

2) Be safe. When my friend went on her first date, it was at a busy shopping centre in the daytime and I went to and she texted me regularly so i knew she was safe etc. similar for my first date, I took him to an event where I knew pretty much everyone there, if only a little and felt safe and had friends on call. Do what you have to to stay safe, as you do not know this person. I agree that mostly this is not a problem, but be prepared for the one time it isn't, or you will regret it.

3) It's not instant. Sure, you might get lucky, but like everything in life it doesn't always work out, and the person for you might not be there yet.

4) Some people aren't looking for the same thing. If you both just want sex? Cool. But if one of you is looking for something more long lasting, just remember that cheap apps are a lot more likely to be hook ups.

5) Not everyone goes on dating sites. In theory, your perfect person, or one of them, might not even be on there. The people you see on there are not the only ones out there.

I'm pretty shy and introverted, but I still do a lot of things to meet people. But it can be very difficult to even then. I say go for it. Just don't rely on it. Make it a bonus not a reason to live, if you get what I mean - don't get disheartened if you don't meet anyone that way as not everyone goes on dating sites. There are more people out there than are listed remember.

It really sucks that your family aren't supportive. Hopefully they'll get better/used to the idea over time. But it's your life, you should live it not them :slight_smile:

Good luck :slight_smile:

4. Sek

Sek

Dating websites/apps can go either way. As was mentioned before, they tend to be for hookups but there others like you who go onto those websites. If hookups is what you're looking for, you won't have trouble finding that. However it is important to realise that finding a relationship on those places will be a little more difficult and there is some inevitable hurt along the way.

I used an app to find my boyfriend, I wasn't looking for hookups and I was just looking to at least chat to guys to start getting my foot in the door of the dating world. Six months later, we're still together.

5. roar531

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks for all the advice! :slight_smile: yea iv stated that im looking for a relationship and have messaged a few guys so far. im using plenty of fish since its free, and iv seen a few potential matches. :slight_smile:

its good to hear it can work alot, but i wont depend fully on it, just using it as another tool. but its nice to hear success storys.

6. roar531

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok i need some more advice, i was planning on heading out to see this one dude tonight, i havnt met him in person before. and my mom freaked out saying how i could get jumped, or my car could break down, or they could hit me over the head and i pass out...shes against gay lifestyles so shes bias, as well as shes a mom so she worries.

but their is some truth to this, how dangerous is it to meet a guy iv never met before at night? hes only 20 minutes away driving distance, and i told my mom the general area we would be at tonight, am i still being stupid for wanting to go during the night? would it being daytime be that much safer?

any response is welcome as i want an unbiased opinion on this matter, forget if your gay or not, lesbian whatever, just tell me up straight. because i feel my mom just doesn't approve of my lifestyle im choosing and doesn't want me to go out on my own to bars, or meet new people if they are going to be gay. thanks everyone.

7. Sek

Sek

Well, anything could happen. But there are some rules you should follow when meeting someone in person for the first time:

- Trust your gut feeling. If you don't think they're genuinely who they say they are, don't meet them.

- Meet in a well-lit place with a good amount of people, like a busy shopping centre during the day, a busy coffee place, etc. However try not to make it too loud, it can spoil the date if you can't hear each other.

- Let a friend know where you are going and when, so someone knows your whereabouts. Make sure to text them on your way, when you arrive, when you leave and when you arrive home for maximum safety.

Meeting during the night isn't something I would recommend. If you have to do it, avoid all unpopulated areas. Do not agree to meet somewhere quiet and travel together. Don't get into anyone else's car. Just meet at the busy place and when you leave travel by yourself back to a safe and familiar place (eg home).

This advice is not intended to scare you or make you think that all people you meet are going to hurt you. There's no harm in setting boundaries to protect yourself. If someone you meet asks you to do something you see potential danger in, say no and be stubborn about it. Don't put yourself in a situation you could regret. Be alert, be vigilant, and be safe.

8. roar531

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok well i talked it over with my mother, and i wont go out in the night, but i met this dude that likes me alot. hes sent a bunch of pics so im pretty sure its him in the photos. he works from 9-5pm so were meeting at 6pm to go for a walk. i figured since sunset is about 8:30 now that it is summer that gives us plenty of time, 2+ hours. the thing is you mentioned not getting in someones car. why is that bad? just wondering because he said he would pick me up at 6pm. also i let my mom know when hes coming, and where we are going, and what time i would be back, around 8 to 9pm. so 2 to 3 hours max. is this safe enough? thank again btw. also would going for a walk in the woods be bad? this was my idea because i know the path. he seems like a really nice guy, and i know people can lie or be fake, but the path im thinking of going on a walk with him through is only about 15 minutes away from where i live, and iv been on the path before so i know the area a bit, so i thought it would be best, although when i stopped to think about it, it is through the woods, but their are houses along the pathway every minute or 2. and its right by a busy-ish area. only downside possibly is its in a foresty area. any thoughts? :slight_smile: thanks.

9. robclem21

It is bad to get into someone else's car because once you are there you have no control over where you go/what you do (unless you are willing to jump out of a high speed car, even then its possible you may not be able to unlock doors). Anyway I digress. Generally, on a first date with someone you have never met before, you should meet them at a specified place and not let them pick you up.

I wouldn't go for a walk in a secluded area. Meet somewhere you can chat but others will be around. Getting lost is not the issue, the fact that he may be stronger and able to overpower you is the issue. Staying safe and building trust is important on the first date. Not seclusion and privacy. If things go well, then there will lots of time for that down the road. I would suggest a coffee shop (maybe with a patio so you can still be oustide) or anything like that. Something where you are in clear sight of others, without necessarily being surrounded by people.

Meeting someone for the first time is all about being in control, and allowing yourself to make all decisions that are best for you.

10. Sek

Sek

6pm is a good time to meet. Do not get into his car because you surrender control over the location to which you go. He could take you anywhere so it's better that you protect yourself for now.

As for the woods, it's not a good idea. There won't be a lot of people, no security cameras, the trees will make it more difficult for other people to see you. You want to go somewhere safe and populated where it is more difficult for something to happen to you. The things you want to check against are: an open space so you can be spotted easily; a good amount of people around for safety purposes; good lighting so you can be seen; something close to your house so you can get home quickly (but not too close that you could get followed).

Always make your safety the top priority. You never know what someone's ulterior intentions are. I have made the mistake of not being stubborn to protect my safety and as a result I got sexually assaulted. All of this advice is intended to make sure you are okay -- please keep yourself safe.

I would suggest meeting at a coffee house or a restaurant. Those places are a lot safer than the woods. Meet at the location at the time, travel by yourself to and from, and be stubborn with your restrictions.

#10 Sek, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  11. roar531

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ima ask him if he wants to go bowling then. i dont think it will be too loud, and its a tuesday so shouldnt be that packed either...ill ask him to meet me at the place. sound better? ill drive myself their and he can drive himself their, although i already made the mistake of giving out my adress to him to pick me up. so i cant stop him from knowing where i live.

---------- Post added 1st Jun 2015 at 06:48 AM ----------

honestly im just scared because im not completely out of the closet and i might see people i know their, which is why i wanted a walk alone. but this is probably safer...

12. Sek

Sek

Bowling is a great option. If you don't want people to see you, go a few towns over. I'm not completely out of the closet so my boyfriend living half way across the city has been great to stop an accidental coming out before I was ready.