1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with friends who don't get along

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bubbles123, May 25, 2015.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

So the backstory here might be long and confusing. Let me know if you have any question. Here it goes:

I am friends with a guy named John and a girl named Kate. Kate and John were good friends a couple years ago and then Kate started hating John suddenly. She never gave me a good reason why, we got in some fights, yadda yadda.
    Anyways, her and I are good friends again although we don't really talk about the whole John situation. I'm still friends with John (I text him, hang out with him sometimes) but I try to keep it a secret from her (he goes to a different school now).

Meanwhile, I have this other friend, Jen (goes to a different school) who a long time ago was friends with this other girl Kelly. ( the two stories relate I promise ). They had a falling out (mostly Jen's fault) a while ago. I don't know Kelly as well and Jen is one of my best friends. Thing is, Kelly is friends with Kate.

So, now to the most recent problem. My school's prom is coming up and everyone can only invite one person from another school. I am inviting John (I haven't told Kate that). He's not my date, I'm just giving him the permission slip so he can come. But I was talking to Kate yesterday about my friend Jen who Kate has only heard about from me and Kelly. She asked if I was going to invite Jen to the prom and I said "No. She asked me in the past, so I feel bad but I don't want to because I don't want to make things awkward for her or Kelly".
    Yet I am inviting John and that'll make things mega uncomfortable for him and Kate (mostly Kate) and she's going to find out soon that I'm inviting him. Especially after what I said about Kelly and Jen, she'll probably thing I'm kind of stabbing her in the back by inviting John. But John asked me and he's still my friend. He probably still would have ended up coming to my school's prom, he really just needed someone to fill out the slip for him but I usually do that for him and I want him to come.

Anyway, I don't know how to make Kate know I'm not trying to be mean and also I feel bad about the fact that now they're both going to be there and it's going to be awkward for her. Ughhh I just hate to bring up the issue to her because I have avoided talking about John around her for a while and that's why we're such great friends now. I kind of do want to talk about the whole issue with her (even the stuff at the beginning) but I don't want to upset her:/

I just don't know what to do. I'm sorry that was so long and probably hopelessly confusing so thank you so much to anyone who read through all of that!