1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social anxiety disorder and dating

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jax12, May 27, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I have social anxiety disorder, it's hard for me to embrace who I am. I've always cared about how people looked at me or judged me, and now that I've settled on my attractions with men, I find it even more difficult to be okay with whom in dating.

Advice, anyone?

2. Sek

Sek

Don't be so definitive in yourself. You are nothing except who you are. I have never been a fan of labels because once we internalise them we subconsciously feel we have to live by them -- they start to define us rather than describe us; there's a subtle yet profound difference there.

The fact that you can recognise a behaviour trait you'd like to have is a good start. How can one manifest a character trait? Through diligence. One way is to act as if you were the version of yourself you wish you were. This will probably be challenging or feel strange at first, and that's okay. Be gentle and nurture yourself, but don't give up. :thumbsup:

3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice Sek. I'm not a fan of labels either since it makes me act differently. I'll try to be myself, which is already a challenge in itself tbh.