1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask for permission or beg for forgiveness?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by John2517, May 27, 2015.

1. John2517

So to make a long story short, I'm bicurious and want to get to the bottom of this without it going public. There's a mall and city both equal distance from where I live and every friday there's an LGBT youth group meeting in the city. for an hour and a half. I've come out to both my parents and they're ok with me going through this uncertain phase, but they think it's just phase and happened because I don't have enough relationships (hetero) or something like that. So I was thinking about saying I'm going to the mall with some friends when in reality I'm going to the youth group meeting instead and returning afterwards. Should I go through with that plan and not tell them? I'm just afraid they're gonna say that i'm being ridiculous or something.

This is very stressful... :icon_sad:

2. AKTodd

I tend to lean toward honesty being the best policy.

You're already out to them as questioning/curious and they are apparently fairly accepting although obviously they could be more so. If you are currently bi-curious, it rather logically follows that you would want to explore different aspects of the whole same-sex thing, including (given your apparent age) a youth group.

The one thing I would suggest (based on some of your other posts) is that you emphasize the curiosity and looking for friends aspect of the group rather than the potential for finding someone you will think attractive and (presumably) eventually might become sexual with. It wouldn't matter if they were the president and treasurer of your local PFLAG chapter, very few parents are likely to be comfortable with the notion of their child having sex (straight or gay). It's less than logical on all kinds of levels but there it is.

So basically, assuming they won't forbid you from going, or you have really strong and serious reason to think they would make you really uncomfortable so you could enjoy the group properly - I would be honest, but also very matter of fact about it.

My 2c worth,

Todd

3. bajel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm glad that you are taking steps to learn more about yourself!!!
    Yeah, I'd tell them about it if you think they'll be chill about it, but emphasize it's a support type of thing, not a dating thing. I think it could go one of two ways. They can look at you making a serious effort to figure it out and take you more seriously or maybe they won't be thrilled because they want you to move past this "phase". That they think you're exploring this side of you because not too many het relationships makes me feel like they would likely see this as a step in the wrong direction.

Only you know your parents, but if not telling them the specifics of your mall trip makes you more comfortable, go for that.