1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Lifesbegun, May 31, 2015.

1. Lifesbegun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have an opportunity to date someone, you like them, but you know it will only last 2 months then ..ping....all over.
    Who would do it and risk falling for said someone, or who would think it's not worth it?

2. Sugarholic

Date that person. Enjoy the experience while it last. All good things come to an end.

3. Lifesbegun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's what I think too...!

4. cold42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm confused

5. Lifesbegun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Confused why?

6. biggayguy

If I knew it was only going to be a few dates I would enjoy it. If my heart was going to be broken then no.

7. Lifesbegun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not a few dates, full on everyday seeing each other....the full trip.

8. wasgij

OR you can sit back, don't date them, and still get your heart broken from all the possible "what if" regrets eating away at you.

What if:
    -Afterwards something happens (accident, disability, disease, near-death experience, actual death, etc.) and you think, "dammit! That was my last chance to go dating, and I blew it..."

-The overseas job placement/international tour/whatever gets cancelled/visa extended etc., AND they get together with someone else... Ouch!

Wow, I'm almost motivating myself enough to get out of my own warrior armchair... :grin:

9. Sugarholic

@wasgij
    That's a really good point. I'd rather do something I will regret later on then sit around thinking "what if".

@Lifesbegun
    Go for it. It's a full on trip. It'd be a waste to let it go. But don't dive in thinking this is going to be your happily ever after ending. Take what you can and keep the good memories.

10. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean, get the fun while you can. I wouldn't mind. At least I would have something instead of being lonely all the time :frowning2:

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'll be the minority here when I say It's not worth it, but then again I'm not all that interested in relationships anyway and wouldn't want to waste my time. Especially with how many people are out there.

12. i wouldnt do it if it was this.
    if you mean seeing each other every day, sounds very suffocating to me. in a very new relationship. i like space and need it. as should the other person. unless of course you live with person and have been living with them for some time and its a relationship that has developed.

but in general yeah i would go for it, enjoy something. you might never know what happens after.

13. ilovemylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I had a similar thing happen with me except it was only a month. I was so worked up about the timeline and how we'd be over after the month, that I forgot to actually enjoy the month. I can't tell if it was worth it or not since I was really only half there for it all.

My personal opinion is go for it. Enjoy the two months. Because if you worry too much about what happens next, you'll never know what's happening now.

14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, in my opinion there's not much point if it doesn't have the potential to last.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I long for a loving long term commitment but of course I am realistic and know not everything works out the way you want it but I would never date someone with the attitude that it won't last.

16. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I would, yeah. I mean, if you don't go for it then you have to wonder what it would be like if you did, no?

I've experienced this over the holidays in Hong Kong. Met an AMAZING guy that was from the UK that was not only cute but just... Wow. But since he lives in Hong Kong I knew it wouldn't last, so even as I began to see him I came with the mindset that I was going to enjoy every moment with him.

But had I not met up with him, then it would have just been another guy that walked down the street.

17. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    considering 2 months is about the average some of my relationships have lasted and I'm still alive even though they fell apart, sure, why not. I obsess more over the ones I didn't ask out than the ones I did... sadly not by much, lol.

18. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

Probably not, simply because I'm the type of person that, if I know how long I have, I exhaust myself tryna "make the most" out of every moment. It would be too overwhelming & emotionally draining for me.

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If there were no other hangups, I would be happy to go on a few dates at least, but this would be more like a friendship than a full fledged relationship.

20. bibeauty28

bibeauty28 Guest

In my experience, I tend to regret the things I DIDN'T do, rather than the things I DID do.

Good luck! :thumbsup: