1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defending yourself without outing yourself

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Kaya-Sente, May 31, 2015.

1. Kaya-Sente

:bang:So, recently I found myself with basically all the important people in my life together in one place for fun and games. They started discussing how disgusting it is that some people like to crossplay (dress as characters of the opposite gender for conventions). Then they started talking about crossdressers in general. Then of course people that WANT to be the opposite gender. Then it even got so far where they speculated on the existance of someone who changed their gender on a whim. It felt oddly specific towards me, and I cowered in silence.

Unfortunately this conversation comes up more than I am comfortable with, and part of me really wants to respond, but I don't know how. The major concern is simply that they would make the most annoying logical lapse ever and go towards the "you are defending them must mean you are one" statement. Whether made in jest or not, it is a question i cannot be asked because I cannot answer. to say no, and then come out later would only backup the moron logic involved. to say yes would obviously out me, burning all my bridges in one fell swoop.

Is it possible to pose a defense without outing myself? I'm sick and tired of this discussion happening, but am not ready to have the coming out discussion just yet.
    :help:

2. Kaya-Sente

I am not quite sure if I posted this in the wrong forum, noone has anything to say, or am an idiot for asking. Or if I am just impatient. So if any of the above are true, just let me know of that as well.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can be tough when people get into a mob mentality. I think one way to counteract is to take a big picture viewpoint that helps give insight, like saying it used to be in previous eras that women never wore pants (okay, there were always crossdressers) or that it's a double standard women can wear suits, but men can't wear dresses. But, really sometimes you have to chose your battles. Since you're 24, you should ask yourself why are you spending time with people who you feel uncomfortable around. I'm not saying you should cut them out of your life, but maybe now is a good time to expand your horizons and look for others who are more tolerant and accepting.