1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

parents making me feel horrible about my decisions...:(

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by roar531, Jun 1, 2015.

1. roar531

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hello, first i guess this might turn into a rant, but i need to vent because i feel like crap. my parents are not accepting of the gay lifestyle and iv even gotten into debates on if im going to hell or not because i recently came out to them. also i recently decided to start online dating and my mother keeps making me feel like shit.

iv decided to go on a date with a man thats 32. im 23. i know theirs a huge age difference first of all but is that really that bad? i mean its not like were getting married im just dating to see where it goes. 9 years is alot though... thoughts on this?

also how do you cope with parents constantly reminding you that you need help, or that i should talk to a therapist about this. or that im being unsafe, this one is big because i like to be safe but shes so paranoid, she brings up the most rediculous scenarios. the date is during the day, were just going for a walk, and its only less than 15 minutes away from where i live. and iv told my mom the place we are going to walk and the time ill be back, no more than 2ish hours. before sunset.

its just fusterating and i know people cant MAKE you feel a certain way, we choose to feel how we feel, happy sad or whatever, its how we look at life and our outlook that decides how we feel, but people sure as heck can influence us. and my parents influence is kinda making me feel like i may be destroying my future by my decision to come out of the closet completely. i have not come out yet all the way. just friends and parents.

i do live with my parents currently so this is kinda a problem, its even more fusterating because i respect my parents and told them if they didnt want me to date since im still under their roof i wouldnt, and i would wait till i had my own place and was on my own, but they said it was fine. yet they still nag and say crap..which makes me think i should just wait till i move out in a about a year or so. anyway thanks for letting me rant.

any ways you cope with situations like this? should i just stay in the closet for another year? iv been in it for 23 so it cant hurt much more right? also do you think 9 years age difference is to much to even consider dating?? thanks.

2. AKTodd

I've been out for decades and my life turned out just fine. Also, there are vast numbers of straight people who's lives are a total disaster. The upshot being that life is what you make of it, and being LGBT and out is really not a deciding factor.

You are an adult and, while you may choose to consider your parents experience and views on things, at the end of the day they are just people like anyone. I flat guarantee you that they are not perfect.

I would suggest that you politely but firmly let your parents know that, while you are willing to consider their concerns, at the end of the day you will be the one to decide how you live your life and what activities do or do not constitute an acceptable level of risk. At which point, the discussion is over. I suspect you are more likely to be hurt in a car accident then going on a date, statistically speaking. Life is not safe, but hiding away from it is no way to live.

Beyond that, I'd aim to get out from under their roof ASAP, preferably by moving at least a couple hours flying time away. That situation will force everyone involved to learn to let you stand on your own to feet and live with your decisions.

Todd