1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to approach my father

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by itsmary, Jun 1, 2015.

1. itsmary

One of the things that makes me feel anxious is talking to my father. I love him. He's a good/ supporting man who has always taken care of me, my mom & my sister. But we have never had a close relationship. At first I guess I was too shy so I only spoke to my mom( still do it) but now that I'm on medication and trying to change my life in a positive way I'll willing to approach him and have a close relationship with him.

*We live in the same place*

So, how do I do it? I have asked him for a book and a couple things but that has been all our chatting in a week. How do I approach him? It makes me anxious. I really wanna connect with him :frowning2: I love him so much:help:

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You can interject yourself into a topic if, for example, you see something your father is watching or reading. This gives you common ground.

However, the easiest thing to do here, unless your father is totally against it, is to just approach your father and say something to the effect of, "Dad, I'd really like for us to spend more time together." and see where that goes. If necessary, think of something you can do together, and then ask if your father would be willing to do that.

Most parents will appreciate this, and will be willing to work with you. I mean, you are their child.

It can make you nervous or uncomfortable, trying to change how something has been, in this case the relationship with your father, but I believe this is pretty simple to get rolling.

What does your father like to do/talk about? Is there anything you have in common with him? Is there anything you can think of, that you both could do?

3. itsmary

Thanks Kaiser for your response!

Yes actually, we have a lot of things in common. Our love for history, literature... We used to play chess but I guess he got bored because I never talked that much. I know he's frustated and he also wants to be closer to me but we are very similar people. It's very hard for the two of us to approach each other

4. itsmary

More ideas? Anyone?