1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She can call Caitlyn Jenner by the right pronouns, but not me???

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FightingShadows, Jun 2, 2015.

1. FightingShadows

So, since I've come out to my parents, my mom has never once attempted to use my name or the right pronouns. It seems more so lately than ever, she's been calling me her daughter and throwing "she" and "her" around as if cementing it in her mind that that's who I am rather than who I've told her I am. And it goes without saying that it hurts. So when she started getting more into educating herself about the trans community by watching some interviews and things I thought, "Finally, she's coming around and she'll accept me for who I am and everything will be okay." Of course I'm extremely proud of her for taking that step, but, as I've said, nothing's changed.

So, as I assume you all know, Bruce Jenner is now Caitlyn Jenner and would you believe that when my mother saw, she instantly started calling her the right pronouns and I was just in complete disbelief that she could do that SO easily, barely without even thinking and yet, to call me the right name and pronouns is "too hard". I just don't understand. How can someone take in a celebrity's transition so easily as to use the right pronouns but completely disregard YOUR OWN SON when he comes out to you???

2. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Because Caitlyn's a celebrity. Because Caitlyn's not you. It's easy to talk about celebrities and their quirks, because we don't actually know them. If your mom had known Caitlyn back when she called herself Bruce, and as a friend, and not a celebrity to fan over, then she would insist on calling her Bruce. It's incredibly hard for parents to stop when for most of your life, they've seen you as a girl. I'm sorry if that's not the answer you're expecting. I can only sympathize with you.
    You may wish to call her out on the Caitlyn-you thing. Maybe if she connects that you and Caitlyn are slightly similar, she might start using masculine pronouns with you.

3. BluhImCourtney

Okay... I'm not saying it's right... cause it's not.

But... think of it like this. She knows Caitlyn, sure, but she doesn't know her personally. She knew her for a long time, but she wasn't always a staple in her life.

Now, you are her child, daughter to her, and son to you. She's known you for 23 years (according to your age on the profile). Part of her probably just doesn't want to let go of when she thought you were her daughter, because you've been her "daughter" in her eyes for such a long time.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just giving a reason.

Also, you might want to tell her how you feel. And tell her that she needs to use the right name and pronouns, and that it isn't a joke.

I'm rooting for you, good luck. ^-^

4. Music Girl

Music Girl Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Now I don't sympathize with her. I went through this conversation throughout the day with many ignorant classmates who refused to call her by her chosen name, Caitlyn, and consistently used "Bruce" and male pronouns. I may not be trans, but I know the difference between opinions and ignorance. That said, it's clearly a tough time for your mom. Your mom doesn't have to interact with Caitlyn Jenner on a day to day basis. She doesn't know her personally. You, she knows intimately. Your mom saw the before and after pictures, and the transition through the public eye. Your mom clearly SAW a beautiful woman on the cover of vanity fair. To her, Caitlyn Jenner and Bruce Jenner are divorced from each other, two completely different people. But to her, part of you is still that little girl that she raised, and she can't separate you into male and female in her mind because she has lived with you and known you intimately. She has to call you by your chosen name and use your chosen pronouns much more often than she has to use Caitlyn's. How many times do you think she's talked about Bruce Jenner over the years? I would assume not too many. You're 23 years old, and she, for the first 18 years of your life, I presume, called you by your birth name and pronouns that corresponded with your biological sex, pretty much every day. Talk to her about it. Good luck.

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2015 at 08:53 PM ----------

Oh wow. We said pretty much the exact same thing, BluhImCourtney... xD