1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get out in the world and meet people?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Shooni, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Shooni

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello! I hope this is the correct forum to post in.

Being truthful, I have spent easily 3 years hiding away and genuinely not accomplishing anything with my life.

I'll be eighteen in a couple weeks time. I really want to make an effort and enjoy my life.
    As it stands, I truly have no real life friends. No one to hang out with, no one to go with for a girly day out shopping. I seemed to lost the few friends I had when college started. They all drifted away.

I've been out to my parents for just under a year. I accept my sexuality, no problem. But only recently I've decided to look into it a bit more. I have never had a gay friend. I have never been to any support groups or meetings. This website is all I have so far.
    Now, I have a crippling anxiety that makes me nervous to leave my house, and sometimes even my bedroom. I get scared easily.
    I'm quiet and painfully shy. Nobody wants to approach me, and I don't have any asset that makes me stand out. I got bullied a lot, it's made me insecure with my appearance.

Quite obvious, but I've never had a relationship. Never been kissed, never been intimate. It doesn't bother me too much, I guess... But I do get lonely.
    I live out in the middle of almost nowhere. In the countryside, on the outskirts of a small village, surrounded by fields. I feel lost.

So, I'm needing help and advice.
    How do I go out and meet people? I mean, I don't know how to act around friends, let alone ever flirt with anybody in hopes of starting a relationship.
    I feel useless yet hopeful.
    I really want to be happy and enjoy my life. I just need a push in the right direction.
    I want friends to spend days with. I spend all my summers alone.

Sorry for writing so much! This has been bothering me for months now. I really don't know where to start. Any help will be truly appreciated. <3

2. Sek

Sek

The first thing you should know is that it's okay to be bad at interacting with people at first. Don't beat yourself up about that. One of my favourite quotes from 'Adventure Time' is "being bad is the first step to being sorta good at something". Don't let not having skill at something put you off - put yourself in those situations anyway, and you'll get better at it.

I don't know how far from populated areas you are but those would be good places to look. Most of my friends come from school and work or through those school/work friends, so you could look at school if you still attend or at a job. When you are 18 you could also try going to gay bars/pubs to meet other people, or even try dating websites if you feel comfortable.